This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wilhelmsdorf Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Wilhelmsdorf, Landkreis Neustadt an der Aisch-Bad Windsheim, Bayern

Last modified: 2020-11-07 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wilhelmsdorf(mittelfranken) | cross(huguenot) | tankard | inescutcheon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wilhelmsdorf municipal banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 2 Nov 2020
See also:

Wilhelmsdorf Municipality

Wilhelmsdorf Banner

It is a yellow-red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Nov 2020

Wilhelmsdorf Coat of Arms

Shield quartered of Argent and Sable, charged with a Huguenot cross Or, superimposed in centre by an inescutcheon Gules, charged with a chevron Argent, flanked by three tankards of the same ordered 2:1.
In 1680 expelled Huguenot families were settled in the devastated village of Unteralbach by Margrave Wilhelm of Brandenburg-Bayreuth. The thankful refugees gave their settlement the name of their benefactor. They left the village after two years, as agriculture had been a poor business.They were followed by Calvinists, who also didn't stay for long. The margraves donated the village in 1684 to Isaak of Buirette, a banker. They transformed it to an estate with extraordinary privileges. The banker settled Huguenots again, who worked in his hosiery knitting. Around 1800 some 80 knitters lived in the village. In 1896 a factory for the production of drawing instruments and compasses followed. The village is seat of a museum for those instruments since 1992. The quartered shield displays the family arms of the Zollern kin and is referring to the Margraves of Brandenburg-Bayreuth. The cross is reminding on the French refugees, who established the village. The Huguenot cross is a Maltese cross with additonal fleur-de-lis between the cross bars. The inescutcheon displays the arms of the Buirette of Oehlefeld family. Their name means "little tankard".
Source: "Landkreis Neustadt a.d. Aisch - Bad Windsheim", Neustadt a.d. Aisch 1982, p.73
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Nov 2020

Banner and arms were approved on 24 June 1982 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Mittelfranken.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Nov 2020

back to Neustadt an der Aisch-Bad Windsheim cities and municipalities click here