This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Steinach City (Germany)

Stadt Steinach, Landkreis Sonneberg, Thüringen

Last modified: 2021-06-12 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: steinach | stylus | stylus | chevron(white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Steinach city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 June 2021
See also:

Steinach City

Steinach Banner

It is a green-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 June 2021

Steinach Coat of Arms

Shield Azure, a chevron Argent as chief, from the chevrons peak a pale wavy Argent increasing towards the base, flanked at dexter by a slate blackboard Or and a stylus of the same in pale, at sinister by a pyramidal tower Or consisting of four cubes.
In 1519 the settlement Eisenhammer, later called Oberhammer, was founded. South of the settlement in 1613 Unterhammer was founded. Both settlement cores grew together. In 1699 J. von Uttenhofen, a master of forgers, settled down a few families and started metal processing in the valley. The settlement grew. In 1740 there had been two furnaces, a tin smelter and two hammer mills in the valley. Steinach gained the rank of a market town in 1800. Since 1769 gun stones were produced as ammunition of cannons. After the town had gained city rights in 1920, arms were introduced, displaying a group of trees on a hill and a wreath. These arms were based on a local seal from the 18th century displaying a crown, which was replaced in 1920 by the wreath. The metallurgical plant ended business in 1860. The iron factory changed its business line in 1890 and constructed machines for the production of styluses . The current arms show the location of the town on the banks of the Steinach River, represented by the increasing bar wavy, the other symbols are referring to the former important production of slate blackboards and styluses, as well as of toys, represented by the tower of toy blocks.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.434-435
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 June 2021

The arms were adopted in 1950.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 June 2021

back to Sonneberg cities and municipalities click here