Last modified: 2012-09-15 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: moenchengladbach | per pale | crozier(silver) | cross(black) | chief | fess | counterembattled |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
[Quoting a German source]:
Mönchengladbach seit dem 7.2.77 r-y-r (1:4:1) im gelben Felde das zur Stange hin verschobene Wappen: "Unter rotem Schildhaupt, darin ein silberner Wechselzinnenbalken, gespalten von Blau und Gold, vorn eine silberne Abtkrümme, hinten ein durchgehendes schwarzes Kreuz".
Mönchengladbach since 2nd February 1977 red-yellow-red (1:4:1): in the yellow field, displaced toward the hoist, the coat of arms: "Under a red chief, on which is a silver counterembattled fess, the field is divided per pale blue and golden (=yellow), and shows a silver abbot's crozier, behind a black cross throughout."
According to Stadler 1972, p.70 the flag is yellow-blue. However the city's arms changed after the book was published.
See International Civic Arms Ralf Hartemink's website] so the flag changed too.
Stefan Schwoon, 25 Feb 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Mönchengladbach got city rights in 1364 from Duke William V of Jülich. In the early 16th century the image of St. Veit, the patron saint of the local Benedictine abbey is added. The abbey also gave the town part of its name. (...)
After the merger in 1974 [with Rheydt and Wickrath] the arms were changed. The upper part of the new arms is taken from Wickrath [arms of the Lords (later Counts) of Quadt-Wickrath, who ruled in the 17th century], the saint is replaced by the crozier, to represent the abbey in Mönchengladbach and the cross is taken from the arms of Rheydt [the arms of the Lords of Bylandt-Rheydt, who owned the village since 1500].
Source: Stadler 1972, p.70 and Nagel 1986.
back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here