Last modified: 2017-11-11 by german editorial team
Keywords: bad oldesloe | nettle leaf | st.peter | key |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Description of flag:
The ratio of flag 3:5. It is a white flag with a horizontal blue stripe on top and bottom edge. The ratio between stripes is estimated 1:4:1. The coat of arms is in within the white stripe slightly shifted to the hoist.
Description of coat of arms:
It is the shield of the counts od Schaumburg-Holstein. Within its nettle-leaf is a blue dressed, nimbed St.Peter with blond hair and beard, holding a golden(=yellow) key in his right hand. St.Peter is facing the dexter side.The coat of arms has changed several times. Stadler depicts St.Peter with fair hair and beard and holding a golden (= yellow) key. Furthermore in his version St.Peter is placed onto a silver inescutcheon within the nettle leaf.
Note, that according to §5(1) of city's Hauptsatzung the key should be black. There exists also an image of the coat of arms of the city, showing a black haired St.Peter with a black key.
Source: I spotted this flag on 17 June 2006 in front of the town hall.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 Jul 2007 and 17 Feb 2013
Oldesloe received city rights from the Counts of Holstein in 1238 and the prefix of a spa (=Bad) in 1911.
The arms are already seen on the oldest known seal of the city, dating from 1345. The arms show the arms of the Counts of Holstein with St. Peter, the patron saint of the city. The saint has silver (=white hair and he holds an upright black key. According to source he was depicted earlier en face and without any shield. In the 16th century the saint was placed into a shield and since the 17th century the saint is dexter facing. The arms have thus not changed since.
Sources: Stadler 1970; p.95 and Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s and Ralf Hartemink's website.
Jarig Bakker(?), 27 Aug 2006
Oldesloe gained city rights already in 1238 according to the pattern of Lübeck, a very common pattern in the early medieval. Located on both sides of the Trave River and alongside the road from Hamburg to Lübeck it became an important reloading point. Furthermore the sovereigns maintained the saline "Travensalze", which had been expended since the days of Count Adolf II in the 12th century. In 1813 Oldesloe became a saline-bath and a mud bath. So Oldesloe finally gained the title of a spa and the prefix "Bad" in 1911. Bad Oldesloe is the seat of Stormarn County, provisionally since 1943, offficially since 1949.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.263 and Stadler 1970, p.95
The flag was approved on 18 June 1979. The coat of arms was approved on 22 June 1978. The artist is Herbert Kaulbarsch from Bargteheide.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2013
back to Stormarn cities and municipalities click here.