This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ludwigslust City (Germany)

Stadt Ludwigslust, Landkreis Ludwigslust-Parchim, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Last modified: 2020-04-24 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ludwigslust | bull(head) | cross(maltese) | claw | rose(tree) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ludwigslust city flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 27 Feb 2007
  • Ludwigslust City
  • See also:

    Ludwigslust City

    Ludwigslust Flag

    It is a blue-yellow vertical bicolour with centred arms.
    Source: Hans-Heinz Schütt:"Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, pp.121-122
    Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Apr 2020

    Ludwigslust Coat of Arms

    [Ludwigslust city arms] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider and Ivan Sache, 19 Apr 2020

    Shield parted per pale; at dexter Or, a bull's head caboshed Sable, crowned Or, armed Argent, tongued Gules and couped per pale; at sinister Azure a rose tree Vert with one blossom Gules, both couped per pale, accompanied by a Maltese cross Argent in chief and an eagle's claw Or in base.
    The Klenow kin had been the local ruler of a namesake village, which was first mentioned in 1313. The estate was sold to the Dukes of Mecklenburg in 1616. Between 1731 and 1734 Duke Christian Ludwig of Mecklenburg, chief administrator of Mecklenburg and since 1733 advanced to an imperial commissioner, built a hunting lodge. As the name Klenow didn't sound really posh, the village was renamed to Ludwigslust, i.e. "Ludwigs delight", in 1754. Duke Friedrich the Pious, son of Christian Ludwig, made Ludwigslust the permanent residence of the Dukes of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Ludwigslust gained the rank of a market town in 1793. In 1848 Klenow village was incorporated. In 1851 Helene of Bülow-Cammin established the mother house of a deaconesses' home, called Bethlehem. In 1876 Ludwigslust gained city rights.
    The bull's head is a differentiation of the Mecklenburg arms and alluding to the dukes as founders of the city. Claw and rose tree are taken from the arms of the Klenow kin. The Maltese cross is representing the deaconesses' home of Bethlehem.
    Source: Hans-Heinz Schütt:"Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, pp.121-122
    Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Apr 2020

    The arms were granted on 16 June 1876 by Grand Duke Friedrich Franz II of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. The flag was approved on 6 December 1995 by Minister of Interior of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and published in the Municipal Roll of Arms Mecklenburg-Vorpommern as no.53.
    Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Apr 2020

    back to Ludwigslust-Parchim cities and municipalities click here