Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: heringen(werra) | herrings(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a red-white-red vertical triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:4:1. The coat of arms is shifted to the top within the central stripe.
Kassel District , state Hesse
banner approved on 9 April 1968
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 21 Nov 2006
Shield Azure, three herrings Argent ordered per pale.
The region belonged to Hersfeld Abbey and became a dominion of Fulda Abbey in the 14th century. The village had had no proper seals, thus in 1933 new arms were designed, based upon the family arms of the extincted Lords of Heringen, rulers of the village until 1432. The arms are punning. New arms were granted in 1993 and displayed the canting herrings from the old arms, a bend wavy symbolising Werra River and hamme and mallet for the historical potash mining in the region. The former arms were restored in 2003.
The arms were approved in 1933 by Prussian Minister of Interior.
Sources: Ralf Hartemink's webpage and Stadler 1967, p.48
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 June 2017
back to Hersfeld-Rotenburg Cities and Municipalities Page click here