This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bad Schwalbach City (Germany)

Stadt Bad Schwalbach, seat of Rheingau-Taunus-Kreis, Darmstadt District, Hesse

Last modified: 2017-11-13 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bad schwalbach | swallow | bend(wavy) | mural crown | french shield |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Bad Schwalbach city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 19 Aug 2006
approved 1907 See also:

Bad Schwalbach City

It is a plain blue banner with the coat of arms shifted to the top.
inhabitants 11,005
Rheingau-Taunus County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved 1907
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 19 Aug 2006

Coat of Arms

French Shield Azure, topped by a mural crown Or with three towers, a bend wavy Argent, upon bend a swallow statant proper (= Sable and Or).
The arms are canting. Swallow (German: Schwalbe) and bend, representing a creek (German: Bach), are canting elements. The complete arms are thus canting. However, the design is actually much older; the oldest known use of a swallow and creek dates from the early 16th century. The oldest known seal dates from 1514 and displays the shield in front of a throne with St. Mary and Child. Similar designs were displayed on two later seals, from 1648 and 1736. Since 1816 the current arms could be found in local seals. The first use of the colours dates from the 17th century, where the shield is silver, the swallow black and the bend blue. In the 19th century the above colours became the most widely used combination. The swallow was nearly always displayed silver, only in the early 20th century it became golden. Bad Schwalbach was considered to be a market town since around 1600 and gained special privileges on occasion of the introduction of spa and wellness in 1643. It gained city rights in 1818. Otto Hupp also displayed the swallow still in natural colours in the 1920s.
The arms were approved in 1906, when also the mural crown was added.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.19
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2017

back to Rheingau-Taunus Cities and Municipalities Page click here