This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mallersdorf-Pfaffenberg Market Town (Germany)

Markt Mallersdorf-Pfaffenberg, Landkreis Straubing-Bogen, Bayern

Last modified: 2022-06-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: mallersdorf-pfaffenberg | rose | eagle(nimbed) | triplemount |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Mallersdorf-Pfaffenberg town banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 2 June 2022
See also:

Mallersdorf-Pfaffenberg Market Town

Mallersdorf-Pfaffenberg Banner

It is a yellow-blue vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 June 2022

Mallersdorf-Pfaffenberg Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale; at dexter again parted per pale, at dexter Argent a heraldic rose Gules seeded Orin chief, at sinister Azure a heraldic rose Argent seeded Or in base, over all a plough bearn Or in bend sinister and a triplempount Gules issuant from base; at sinister Or an eagle Azure nimbed Argent and tongued Gules, in base a scroll Argent with inscription Sable "ST.JOHANNES", chief lozengy of Argent and Azure.
The market towns of Pfaffenberg and Mallersdorf merged on 1 July 1972. Mallersdorf did not only loose its indepence but also the seat of the namesake county. The arms are a combination of the former arms of both market towns with Pfaffenberg at dexter and Mallerdorf at sinister. The arms of the former were granted in 1558 by Duke Albrecht III of Bayern, those of the latter in 1886 by Prince Regent Luitpold of Bayern. The triplemount is a canting element representing Pfaffenberg. The plough bearn had been sometimes misinterpreted as a scythe. It is symbolising agriculture. The roses are taken from the arms of the Counts of Moosburg. The nimbed eagle of St. John the Evangelist was adopted by Mallersdorf town from the arms of the namesake Benedictine monastery. The evangelist had been its patron saint. The chief displays the arms of Bayern and was added in order to stress the importance of both former towns as seats of districts and courts of justice.
1) Hans Voggenreiter: "Die Gemeinden des Landkreises Straubing-Bogen", in: "Der Landkreis Straubing-Bogen", Straubing 1984, pp.71-73
2) Stadler 1968 pp.9, 40
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 June 2022

Banner and arms were approved on 1 October 1974 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Niederbayern.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 June 2022

back to Straubing-Bogen cities and municipalities click here