This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Schmalkalden-Meiningen County (Thuringia, Germany)

Landkreis Schmalkalden-Meiningen

Last modified: 2022-10-14 by german editorial team
Keywords: thuringia | schmalkalden-meiningen county | landkreis schmalkalden-meiningen | meiningen | quartered | coat of arms: quartered (hen: black) | coat of arms: quartered (lion: barry) | coat of arms: quartered (flag) | c |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Schmalkalden-Meiningen County (Thuringia, Germany)] 2:3
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag adopted 1st October 1998

See also:

Other sites:


The Landkreis [county] of Schmalkalden-Meiningen is located in the southwest of the Land of Thuringia. It has an area of 1210.16 sq. km. and 146,868 inhabitants, located in 83 cities [Städte] and communes [Gemeinden]. The capital is Meiningen (pop. 22,607). More information can be obtained in the Landkreis Schmalkalden-Meiningen website.

Ivan Sache, 18 November 2000


Quartered green-white with the arms. Both a banner [hanging flag] and a [horizontal] flag version exist, the latter has a format of 2:3 (information by Falko Schmidt). The third quarter shows the Rennfähnlein of the diocese of Würzburg (see also the comments on the city flag of Würzburg). Sources: flag from Ulle 2000, arms from the Thuringia official website.

Stefan Schwoon, 17 March 2001

Flag adopted 01.10.1998, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms are made up of parts of the arms of the former counties Schmalkalden, Meiningen and Suhl-Land. The rooster, derived from the arms of the counts of Henneberg, was present in all three former arms. The second quarter is the lion of Hessen, and symbolises the fact that the area was owned by the counts of Hessen from 1360-1866. The banner in the third quarter is taken from the arms of Meiningen and indicates the fact that Meiningen was owned by the Prince-Bishops of Würzburg. The arms of Saxony in the fourth quarter are a reminder of the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen from 1680-1918.

Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.

Santiago Dotor, 26 February 2002

Hanging Flag


[Schmalkalden-Meiningen County hanging flag (Thuringia, Germany)] 5:2
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag adopted 1st October 1998


[Schmalkalden-Meiningen County coat-of-arms (Thuringia, Germany)]
from the Landkreis Schmalkalden-Meiningen website

The coat of arms of the Landkreis is shown in this webpage. The first quarter of the shield shows a hen, i.e. the canting arms of the counts of Henneberg (litt. the hen mountain). Until 1583, this family, representented by the two lineages of Henneberg-Schleusingen and Henneberg-Hartenberg, owned most of the territory of the modern Landkreis. The second quarter shows the bunte Löwe (multicoloured lion), and recalls the long-lasting (1360-1866) link between the domain of Schmalkalden and the landgrave of Hesse. The third quarter shows the so-called fränkische Herzogsfähnlein (litt. Franconian small ducal flag) or Sturmfähnlein (litt. small assault flag), to recall that Meiningen belonged until 1542 to the principality-bishopric of Würzburg. The fourth quarter shows the rue crown of Saxony, to recall the duchy of Saxe-Meiningen (1680-1918), whose capital was Meiningen.

Ivan Sache, 18 November 2000