This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Anconcito Parish (Santa Elena, Ecuador)

Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ecuador | santa elena | anconcito |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Ivan Sache, 10 January 2015

See also:


The parish of Anconcito (8,561 inhabitants) forms the south-eastern part of Salinas canton (Santa Elena province).
Anconcito was established by fishers near Ancón Point. The Anglo Ecuadorian Oilfields Ltd set up there in 1918 a mining camp, subsequently renamed Anconcito (the small Ancón), for the sake of differentiation from the main Ancón oilfield. The canton of Salinas was established by Decree No. 115 of 22 December 1937, as made of the parishes of La Libertad, José Luis Tamayo (Muey) and Anconcito.
Established in 1960 in the village of La Fiesta, the sardine factory Real once operated its own fishing fleet and was the main employer of the peninsula. The Demarco factory was then founded to produce fish meal and oil, as well as canned sardines. In 1975, the Italian immigrant Freddy Mémola introduced crayfish fishing in Anconcito. In the 1980s, Anconcito was the main fishing port of the Santa Elena peninsula.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2015

The Flag

The symbols of Anconcito were designed in 1976 by Gregorio Suárez Santos.
The flag is horizontally divided blue-white. Blue represents the coast and the resource in fish. White represents the people's hospitality and humility, as well as  harmony and fraternity.
Source: - History of Anconcito, by Máximo Clemente Reyes
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2015