This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

San Antonio Parish (Manabi, Ecuador)

Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: manabi | chone | san antonio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



image by Ivan Sache, 28 May 2018

See also:


Overview

The parish of San Antonio (6,705 inhabitants; 3,220 ha) is located in the southwest of Chone canton (Manabi province).

San Antonio was originally known as El Peludo. This odd name ("Hairy") refers either to the local vegetation, characterized by a grass locally known as "peludo" (seemingly, signal grass, Brachiaria decumbens Stapf), or a man whose body was fully covered with hair. The resources in cocoa, gold and emeralds attracted several colonists in the area. Benito Santos is said to have established a river port to export local products. He is also credited the foundation of the first manufacture in the province, which produced ice, cloth, matches and cigars. Santos was succeeded by his son, Elio; the manufacture was subsequently closed, resulting in the suppression of the village. The modern village was established by Beatriz Solórzano and her sons.

On 13 June 1914, St. Anthony of Padua's Day, a battle opposed the Conservatives and the Liberals led by Colonel Carlos Concha Torres (1864-1918), during the uprising known as the Concha War (1913-1916). The village of El Peludo was renamed San Antonio to recall the event. The rural parish of San Antonio was established on 12 December 1944.

http://sanantoniodelpeludo.gob.ec/
Parish website
Ivan Sache, 28 May 2018


The Flag

The flag of San Antonio is prescribed by an Ordinance issued on 24 November 1988 by the Government of Chone. The flag is horizontally divided blue-green with a white triangle placed along the hoist and charged with a red disc.

The blue stripe represents river Chone. The green stripe represents the fertility of the plains and pastures, where "peludo", cocoa and rice are grown. The white triangle is a symbol of union and aspiration to excellence. The red disc recalls the battle fought on 13 June 1914.

http://sanantoniodelpeludo.gob.ec/manabi/?p=111
Parish website
Ivan Sache, 28 May 2018