This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Huamboya Canton (Morona-Santiago, Ecuador)

Cantón Huamboya

Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: morona-santiago | morona | santiago | huamboya |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



image by Ivan Sache, 17 September 2018



See also:


Overview

Huamboya canton (5,965 inhabitants, 97,100 ha) is located in the north-east of Morona Santiago province. Huamboya is named for Shuar words meaning "a floating house".

Huamboya was established on 24 May 1970 as a pre-cooperative part of the parish of Arapicos (Palora canton). Huamboya canton was established on 2 January 1992; the parish of Pablo Sexto was subsequently separated to form a new canton.
http://www.huamboya.gob.ec/
Canton website
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2018


Flag

The flag of Huamboya is horizontally divided blue-yellow-green, representing all the nooks and crannies of the local geography. It shall be flown on all educational institutes and public and private institutions of each of the communities composing the canton.

Blue represents the celestial vault of the clean and clear sky that covers us, as well as the attractive rivers and lakes that embellish the landscape of our territory.
Yellow represents the resources provided by the fertile and productive soil and the shining sun that goes with us every day in a new rise, as well as its ultimate reflections at the end of the day. Yellow also represents the mining resources that are the fruit of our development.
Green represents the immense savanna covered with trees, shrubs, pastures and bushes, and the infinity of orchids that adorn gardens, as well as the great diversity of birds that enlighten with their song the onset and end of the day. Green also represents work performed by the natives and the colonists, proud to see the emergence of new seeds and of green fields that will provide fruits for the inhabitants.

The coat of arms of Huamboya represents the greatness, the achievements and the power of the inhabitants. Such virtues are highlighted in the upper part on the scroll inscribed "DIOS PAZ UNIDAD TRABAJO" (God Peace Unity Work), symbolically acknowledging God for having offered this benign land, complemented with unity and work that secure the people's achievement and hospitality.
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2018


Flag with Coat of Arms

image by Ivan Sache, 17 September 2018

Photo of the flag can be seen at nyx.cti.espol.edu.ec (defunct). The flag is dark blue-yellow-green horizontal tri-band and charged with the Coat of Arms.
Jens Pattke, 15 September 2007

In the upper part of the shield is featured volcano Sangay, the loyal witness of the inhabitant's aspirations, vows and commitments, as well as a jealous warden of the natural environment and a watcher of the flora and fauna. Sangay is a living entity that embellishes and adorns the freshness and purity of the forest, together with its roaming and smokes which, from time to time, repel the enemy who would alter the beauty of the landscape.
In the middle part of the shield is featured the national tricolor flag, crossing the shield from left to right, as the single flag that can cover all Ecuadorians.
In the lower left part is featured a torch, meaning wisdom and the light that illuminates the way in the search of better days, an open book describing knowledge, science and technology taught to all students.
In the lower right part is represented the potential of cattle-breeding and agriculture, as the force and sacrifice of the locals and the foreigners.
Beneath the shield a scroll is inscribed with the noble and heroic "CANTON HUAMBOYA".
http://www.huamboya.gob.ec/portal/index.php/contenido/item/simbolos-del-canton-huamboya
Canton website

The isolated Sangay volcano, located east of the Andean crest, is the southernmost of Ecuador's volcanoes and its most active. The steep-sided, glacier-covered, dominantly andesitic volcano grew within horseshoe-shaped calderas of two previous edifices, which were destroyed by collapse to the east, producing large debris avalanches that reached the Amazonian lowlands. The modern edifice dates back to at least 14,000 years ago. It towers above the tropical jungle on the east side; on the other sides flat plains of ash have been sculpted by heavy rains into steep-walled canyons up to 600 m deep. The earliest report of a historical eruption was in 1628. More or less continuous eruptions were reported from 1728 until 1916, and again from 1934 to the present. The almost constant activity has caused frequent changes to the morphology of the summit crater complex. This volcano is located within the Sangay National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage property.
https://volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=352090
Global Volcanism Program, Smithsonian Institute
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2018


Coat of Arms


image from <www.moronasantiago.gov.ec>