Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ecuador |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Ivan Sache, 10 November 2014
Instituto Educacional Miguel Ángel Suárez, located in Loja, is named for his
founder, the teacher Miguel Ángel Suárez Rojas (1906-1987). The boarding school
San Luís was established on 1 October 1946 by Miguel Ángel Suárez, with the
support of His Grace Jorge Guillermo Armijos Valdivieso, Episcopal Vicar of
Loja, in the annexes of Colegio La Dolorosa. The school was renamed Centro
Educacional Particular de Instrucción Primaria Mariana Córdova de Sotomayor by
Ministerial Resolution No. 10 of 10 February 1949; the new name was a tribute to
the defunct wife of Ángel Sotomayor, the benefactor who had offered a house to
relocate the school. The current name of the school was prescribed by
Ministerial Agreement No. 17 of 25 November 1971, as a tribute to the 50 years
dedicated by Miguel Ángel Suárez to education.
After the death of its founder, the management of the school was transferred by His Grace Santiago Fernández García to the Dominican Daughters of Our Lady of Nazareth, a congregation established in Colombia on 25 March 1938 by María Sara Alvarado Pontón (1902-1980), recognized in 1964 by the Dominican Order and in 1975 by the Holy See. It was decided to keep the name of the school to perpetuate the founder's memory.
Ivan Sache, 10 November 2014
The flag of Instituto Educacional Miguel Ángel Suárez is white with the school's
coat of arms in the middle. White is a symbol of the purity and innocence of the
alumni, and of the transparency of the institute.
The coat of arms of the school, designed in 1946 by Miguel Ángel Suárez, has the "classical shape of Spanish shields". The writing in the red-blue bordure was amended in 1948 and 1972 to reflect the respective change in the name of the school. The shield features a torch as a symbol of progress, raised by a hand issuing from a tricolor flag, as a symbol of the Ecuadorian identity. The torch ends with a cross, which is a symbol of the Christian faith and spirit. The shield also features a book and a sphere as the symbols of culture and science, respectively, a lyre, as a symbol of music, and a painter's palette, as a symbol of arts. In the base of the shield, the branches of laurel and olive represent triumph and peace, respectively.
Source: http://institutoeducativomas.es.tl/Simbolos.htm - Institute's old website
The coat of arms featured on the flag in actual use is quite different from its drawing shown on the institute's website. It has a red-blue bordure (plain white on the drawing) fimbriated in golden yellow and a different writing ("INST. EDUC." instead of the complete words, and "LOJA" instead of "LOJA ECUADOR" - the rest of the writing is not visible on the photo ).
Photo: http://www.miguelangelsuarez.edu.ec/t - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 10 November 2014
The other side of the arms can be seen
here (left on this photo). Rest of the text is other part of the Institute's
name. MIGUEL ÁNGEL is written at the top, and SUAREZ on this side.
Zoltan Horvath, 10 November 2014