Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: aldeanueva de santa cruz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Aldeanueva de Santa Cruz - Image by Eduardo Panizo Gómez (Vexilla Hispanica website), 4 January 2014
The municipality of Aldeanueva de Santa Cruz (146 inhabitants in 2010; 844 ha; municipal website) is located in the southwest of Ávila Province, 80 km of Ávila.
Aldeanueva de Santa Cruz is named for the Dominican monastery founded
by Sister María de Santo Domingo (aka the Blessed from Piedrahíta, the Blessed from El Barco, or the Blessed from Aldeanueva), born and deceased in Aldeanueva; another name of the village is Aldeanueva de las Monjas (of the Nuns).
The exact foundation year of the monastery, funded by the Duke of Fabrique, is not know precisely. In the history of the monastery they wrote in the 18th century, the nuns claim that the monastery was founded on 13 September 1504 and inaugurated with a mass in 1507. In his famous Diccionario Geográfico (1845), Madoz writes that the monastery was founded in the 1480s and inaugurated on 13 September 1504. Based on Mosén Rubí's document and a charter kept in the historical archives, the actual foundation of the monastery should rather be dated between 1508 and 1512; beforehand, the nuns were housed in different houses scattered in the village of Aldeanueva; the monastery was inaugurated between 1512 and 1522. A letter by Pope Leo X, dated 1520, confirms the constitution and rules of the monastery. The monastery taught young girls of noble origin; partially destroyed in 1565 by a blaze, it was rebuilt by the Duke of Alba.
Ivan Sache, 17 March 2011
The flag and arms of Aldeanueva de Santa Cruz (municipal website) are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 8 August 1999 by the Municipal Council, signed on 12 April 1999 by the Mayor, and published on 27 April 1999 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 77, p. 4,447 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, vertically divided in the middle, red at hoist and yellow at fly. In the middle of the flag is placed the Cross of the Dominican Order (white and black).
Coat of arms: Gules (red) a village [aldea] or with a monastery and a church terraced vert (green) ensigned with a Cross of the Dominican Order flory fimbriated argent (argent and sable). The shield surmounted with a Royal crown.
The municipal website gives a description of the flag, "according to the FIAV specifications included in Normas de descripción y codificacion vexilologica, published in 1989 by María José Sastre y Arribas":
Flag with vertical hoist, rectangular (proportions: 2 (hoist): 3 (fly)). Panel vertically divided in the middle, red at hoist and yellow at fly, in its middle the Cross of the Dominican Order (white and black). Finial with the aforementioned Dominican Cross. The sizes usually recommended by vexillology are the following:
- on buildings, 160 cm;
- on outdoors poles, 200 cm;
- on cars, 25 cm.
A photo of the Town Hall shows that the flag hoisted on the balcony has indeed rectangular proportions.
Ivan Sache, 17 March 2011