Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: san lorenzo de tormes | ávila |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of San Lorenzo de Tormes (54 inhabitants - but 527 in 1900, 252 in 1970 and 120 in 1981; 1,400 sq. km) is located 75 km southwest of Ávila.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2007
The flag and arms of San Lorenzo de Tormes are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 May 2007 by the Municipal Council, signed on the same day by the Mayor, and published on 22 May 2007 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 98, p. 10,861 (text).
The symbols, validated on 15 April 2007 by the Chronicler of Arms of Castilla y León, are described as follows:
Flag: Triple tierced at fly, with proportions 1:2. Red or gules at hoist, with a yellow or gold grill in the center; at fly, three horizontal stripes of equal height, white or argent the upper and lower, blue or azure the central.
Coat of arms: Shield of Spanish shape. Gules a grill or surrounded by two palms or, wavy argent and azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The flag and arms represent the two villages of San Lorenzo de Tormes and Vallehondo, located 3 km away, where more than 50% of the inhabitants of the municipality live. According to the designer of the arms, the historian Félix Martínez, the arms feature two basic elements, "St. Lawrence's a grill representing San Lorenzo and the river Tormes representing Vallehondo, which is surrounded by the river". (ÁvilaRed, 4 February 2007).
Ivan Sache, 26 November 2010