This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Valdetorres (Municipality, Extremadura, Spain)

Last modified: 2020-10-31 by ivan sache
Keywords: valdetorres |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Valdetorres - Image by Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020

See also:

Presentation of Valdetorres

The municipality of Valdetorres (1,173 inhabitants in 2019; 4,000 ha) is located 100 km east of Badajoz and 30 km west of Don Benito.

Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020

Flag of Valdetorres

The flag and arms of Valdetorres, adopted on 19 June 1996 by the Municipal Council and validated on 9 July 1996 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 18 July 1996 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 13 August 1996 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 94, pp. 4,304-4,305 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Composed of two triangles formed by the diagonal running from the hoist's upper angle to the fly's lower angle, white at hoist and red at fly. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules three towers or port and windows azure masoned sable, 2a. Checky fifteen pieces azure and or, 2b. Argent four waves azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The original Decree erroneously described the flag as "green at fly". The error was corrected to "red at fly" on 21 September 1996 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 110, p. 4,857 (text).

The towers (torres) in the first quarter refer to the foundation of Valdetorres, as reported by Friar Juan Mateo Reyes Ortiz de Tovar (Partidos triunfantes de la Beturia túrdula): "The town was re-established around 1250, as ordered by King Ferdinand III the Saint, who commissioned a knight named Torres, who named it Valle de Torres, subsequently conflated to Valdetorres."
The second quarter features the arms of the Portocarrero lineage, Counts of Medellín and rulers of Valdetorres until the grant of the status of villa in 1767.
The third quarter highlights the significant presence of freshwater. River Guadámez, brook Chaparral and the Zújar canal allow irrigation, which covers 40%of the cropped lands, which themselves represent 75% of the municipal territory.
[Municipal website]

Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020