This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Valle de Santibáñez (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: valle de santibáñez | zumel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Valle de Santibáñez - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 2 March 2014

See also:

Presentation of Valle de Santibáñez

The municipality of Valle de Santibáñez (561 inhabitants in 2009; 10,586 ha; municipal website) is located 20 km of Burgos. The municipality is made of the villages of Avellanosa del Páramo (64 inh.), Las Celadas (34 inh.), Mansilla de Burgos (39 inh.), Miñón de Santibáñez (13 inh.), La Nuez de Abajo (32 inh.), Las Rebolledas (20 inh.), Ros (45 inh.), Santibáñez-Zarzaguda (233 inh.; capital), Los Tremellos (42 inh.) and Zumel (55 inh.).

The Santibáñez valley was resettled in the early 9th century by Count of Castile Fernán González. Mansilla, mentioned for the first time in 1011, and its castle ruled 23 villages. In the 16th century, the domain was renamed Jurisdicción de Val de Santibáñez and its capital was transferred to Santibáñez-Zarzaguda.

Ivan Sache, 26 January 2011

Symbols of Valle de Santibáñez

The flag and arms of Valle de Santibáñez, designed by Raíces Heráldica y Genealogía, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 27 June 2002 by the Municipal Council, signed on 1 July 2002 by the Mayor, and published on 12 July 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 134, pp. 9,367-9,368 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, white with a red St. Andrew's Cross or saltire of 1/10 the flag's hoist. In the middle is placed the coat of arms of Valle de Santibáñez.
Coat of arms: Rectangular with proportions 6:5, rounded-off in base. Gules mounds argent in base two waves azure ensigned with the Castilian castle, a bordure argent charged with ten elements: three watching towers gules, one of them surrounded by two crossed brambles vert and the other on a small mound proper; a hazel tree and a walnut tree vert fructed or, and two trees (an oak and an elm) proper; a rectangular tower gules, a straw basket and the roof of a church with mountains in the background. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

The ten elements in the arms' border must represent the ten villages forming the municipality, at least:
- the brambles (zarzas) for Santibáñez-Zarzaguda;
- the walnut tree (nuez, "a walnut fruit") for La Nuez de Abajo;
- the hazel tree (avellano) for Avellanosa del Páramo;
- the oak (rebollo) for Las Rebolledas.

Ivan Sache, 26 January 2011

Submunicipal entities



Flag of Zumel - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 17 March 2015

Zumel was settled in the early 11th century by Basque colonists. The village was named for an Iberian word meaning "a willow".
In the middle of 14th century, Diego de Ulloa, a landlord from Toro, erected in his domain of Zumel a castle, of which have subsisted a tower and parts of the walls. Diego de Bernuy, who founded in 1562 with his wife Isabel Orense de la Mora the Conception Hospital in Burgos, acquired Zumel in 1561, with the title of "Mayor of the Castle of Zumel in the Valley of Santibáñez in the Mountains of Burgos". A few years after Diego de Bernuy's death, his descendants moved to Benamejí (Andalusia); they were subsequently erected Marshals of Alcalá la Real (1675) and Marquis of Benamejí.
On 5 January 1518, the procurators of the main towns of Castile met in the San Pablo monastery of Valladolid to take the oath of obedience to the new king, Charles I. Short before the inauguration of the Cortes, Juan de Zumel, Procurator of Burgos, informed the Grand Chancellor Jean Sauvage that they would gather if and only if Charles promises to respect the privileges, franchises and laws granted by King Ferdinand and to reserve the higher offices of the kingdoms to Castilians. Threatened of death punishment, the procurators did not change their claim. After a long negotiation, Charles eventually visited the procurators and was welcomed by Juan de Zumel, who kissed his hands and thanked him for his "happy coming to the Kingdom of Castile". The inauguration of the Cortes was postponed to 7 February.

The flag and arms of Zumel are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 15 December 2011 by the Village Council, signed on 20 December 2011 by the Mayor, and published on 17 January 2012 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 11, p. 2,590 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, made of two equal vertical stripes, white at hoist and red at fly. On the white stripe the coat of arms, in height 60% of the flag's height.
Coat of arms: Gules a four-donjoned tower or masoned sable port and windows azure in base a fess wavy azure fimbriated argent a chief argent two crayfishes gules. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

Ivan Sache, 17 March 2015