This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Higuera (Municipality, Extremadura, Spain)

Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: higuera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Higuera - Image by "Ivanics", Wikimedia Commons, 21 March 2020

See also:

Presentation of Higuera

The municipality of Higuera (aka Higuera de Albalat; 113 inhabitants in 2019 vs. 549 in 1950; 4,054 ha; municipal website) is located 100 km north-est of Cáceres and 30 km south-west of Navalmoral de la Mata.

Higuera is located in Campana de Albalat, an area reconquered from the Moors and re-settled by King Ferdinand III the Saint in the 13th century. The area was formerly ruled from the citadel of Madinat Albalat, whose ruins are now located in the neighboring municipality of Romangordo.
Higuera keeps the ruins of a Muslim citadel dated to the 10th-11th centuries. The ruins are located on Castil Oreja, a height overlooking a meander of brook Garganta de los Nogales. The site was used either to watch river Tagus, then the border with the Christian states, or to exploit the Norteña mine. The mine was exploited, with interruptions, until 1956, yielding lead, zinc, and, to a lesser extent, silver ore.

The Albalat bridge, built over river Tagus in 1552, is of 127 m in length, 38 m in height and 7 m on width. It is composed of two arches connected by a central, semi-circular pillar. The bridge is decorated with a big stone shield featuring Charles I's two-headed eagle.
The "light factory" established around 1940 by Baldomero Escudero de la Llave on the confluence of brooks Garganta de los Nogales and Gargantilla provided electricity, via wooden posts and two wires, to the villages of Higuera, Romangordo and Casas de Miravete. Managed by Juan Cerezo, the factory was closed in the 1960s.

Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020

Flag of Higuera

The flag and arms of Higuera, adopted on 28 June 1994 and 27 January 1995 by the Municipal Council and validated on 8 December 1994 and 7 March 1995 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 6 April 1995 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 20 April 1995 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 46, pp. 1,461-1,462 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, composed of three horizontal stripes in proportions 1:4, 1:2 and 1:4, the upper blue, the central white and the lower green. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Argent a fig [higuera] leaf vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020