This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Santa Marta de Magasca (Municipality, Extremadura, Spain)

Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: santa marta de magasca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Santa Marta de Magasca - Image by "Ivanics", Wikimedia Commons, 22 March 2020

See also:

Presentation of Santa Marta de Magasca

The municipality of Santa Marta de Magasca (271 inhabitants in 2018 vs. 1,253 in 1950; 3,968 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km east of Cáceres and 25 km north-west of Trujillo.
Santa Marta de Magasca was already settled in the Roman times, as evidenced by the remains of a Roman villa excavated in Pascualete. In 1588, King Philip II ordered the sale of the village, among other places depending on Trujillo. Juan de Vargas Camargo, member of the Valladolid Chancellory, sold the place to Álvaro de Loaisa.

Ivan Sache, 22 March 2020

Flag of Santa Marta de Magasca

The flag and arms of Santa Marta de Magasca, adopted on 1 April and 30 September 1993 by the Municipal Council and validated on 21 January 1994 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 16 February 1994 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 26 February 1994 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 23, pp. 605-606 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Composed of two vertical stripes separated by two stripes, blue and silver, in width, 1/16 of the flag's width; at hoist, white, charged with the municipal coat of arms, at fly, red, in respective proportions 1/3 and 2/3.
Coat of arms: Gules on waves azure and argent two keys argent in saltire tied by a chain of the same superimposed by a pillory or masoned sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The drawing attached to the Order represents the flag with the wavy stripes in the center. The correct drawing was published on 19 March 1994 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 32, p. 871 (text).

The waves must represent river Magasca.
The pillory, now standing in the village's square, was erected in the 16th century when Santa Marta de Magasca was granted the status of villa. Placed on three circular steps, the pillory is decorated with the coat of arms of its first lord, Álvaro de Loaisa.
[Municipal website]

Ivan Sache, 22 March 2020