Last modified: 2015-10-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: aldeire |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Aldeire - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 May 2014
The municipality of Aldeire (653 inhabitants in 2013; 7,007 ha) is located on the northern slope of the Sierra Nevada, at an elevation of 1,277m above sea level, 80 km east of of Granada.
Aldeire was named for the Arab word dayr, itself derived from the Aramean word daira, meaning "a Christian monastery". Al-Dayr was shortened to Ar-Dar, meaning "a house".
Ivan Sache, 19 April 2014
The flag and arms of Aldeire, adopted on 10 October 2001 by the Municipal Council and revised on 17 June 2002, as suggested on 21 March 2002 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 257, adopted on 15 October 2002 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 7 November 2002 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 130, pp. 21,636-21,637 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, made of five horizontal stripes in proportions 1/4, 1/12, 1/3, 1/12 and 1/4, the outer red, the intermediate yellow, and the central green.
Coat of arms: Quarterly per saltire, 1. Vert a castle argent masoned sable, 2. Argent an almond tree eradicated vert, 3. Argent a house gules, 4. Vert a bend gules fimbriated or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The flag uses the tinctures of the coat of arms.
On the arms, the castle represents the Visigothic fortress transferred in 1288 to Muhammad II by the Sultan. The almond tree represents the natural resources and agriculture in the region. The house recalls the Arab etymoloy of the village's name. The lower quarter features the arms of Mendoza, recalling that Cardinal Pedro González de Mendoza was the first lord of Aldeire after the reconquest from the Moors in 1490.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 April 2014