Last modified: 2015-10-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: ferreira |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Ferreira - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 26 September 2015
The municipality of Ferreira (345 inhabitants in 2008; 4,314 ha; municipal website) is located at the base of the Sierra Nevada, 75 km east of Granada.
Probably named after iron deposits, the place was mentioned in the 12th century by the Arab geographer Al-Idrisi as a fortified place. Reconquered in 1489 by the Catholic Monarchs, Ferreira was a Morisco stronghold during the Alpujarra revolt (late 16th century); the revolted Moriscos were eventually expelled from Spain in 1586 and the area was resettled by Christian colonists from all over Spain.
Ivan Sache, 30 June 2009
The flag of Ferreira, adopted on 28 January 2008 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 18 February 2008 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 27 February 2008 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 14 March 2008 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 52, p. 34 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3 (wodth to length). Vertically divided into three stripes, the middle stripe green and twice longer than the other, the stripe at hoist white and the stripe at fly red. In the middle the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Ferreira, adopted on 23 July 2004 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 21 September 2004 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 29 September 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 15 October 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 202, p. 22,985 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Vert a bend gules fimbriated or, 1b. Or a chestnut tree vert, 2. Argent a tower in "sable shade". The shield be surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed [lengthy description omitted].
The first quarter represents the original arms of the Mendoza family. The second quarter represents fire, important for iron melting and the village's namesake; chestnuts are abundant on the municipal territory. The tower recalls the defensive character of the village in the Middle Ages.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 1 July 2009