Last modified: 2020-02-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: cogolludo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cogolludo - Image by Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The municipality of Cogolludo (549 inhabitants in 2018; 9,687 ha; municipal website) is
located 40 km north of Guadalajara. The municipality is composed of the villages of Cogolludo, Aleas (9 inh.), Beleña de Sorbe (12 inh.), Jócar (deserted), Romerosa (deserted), Torrebeleña (43 inh.), and Veguillas (5 inh.).
The former municipalities of Aleas and Beleña de Sorbe were incorporated to Cogolludo by Decree No. 3,624, issued on 3 December 1970 by the Spanish government and published on 23 December 1970 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 306, p. 20,771 (text). The former municipality of Torrebeleña was incorporated to Cogolludo by Decree No. 2,669, issued on 14 October 1971 by the Spanish government and published on 4 November 1971 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 264, pp. 17,701-17,702 (text). The former municipality of Veguillas was incorporated to Cogolludo by Decree No. 2,066, issued on 24 July 1975 by the Spanish government and published on 4 September 1975 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 212, p. 18,780 (text)
Cogolludo is first documented in the donation of the Fonciana estate by Alfonso VI to the monastery of San Pedro de Gumiel on 14 May 100; the estate is listed as "located between the villages of Hita and Cogolludo, on river Henares". The town was successively ruled by the Archbishops of Toledo, the Order of Calatrava, the Mendoza lineage (1377), the king of Castile (1435), and the Counts, later Dukes, of Medinaceli (1438).
The Marquisate of Cogolludo was created by Charles V for Luis de la
Cerda (1503-1536) upon request of his father, Juan de la Cerda
(1485-1544), 5th Duke of Medinaceli. This was the first of the five
titles created by the king for the sons of the main noble houses. The
18th Marrchioness of Cogolludo is Victoria Francisca de Medina Conradi
(b. 1986), 10th Ducess of Santisteban del Puerto and 15th Marchioness of
[Fundación Casa Ducal de Medinaceli]
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The flag of Cogolludo (photo), which does not appear to have been officially registered, is pinkish red with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Cogolludo is prescribed by Decree No. 120, issued on
20 December 1985 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published
on 31 December 1985 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No.
52, pp. 1,981-1,982 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Quarterly, 1. and 4. Per pale, 1. Gules a tower or masoned sable, 2. Argent a lion rampant gules, 2. and 3. Azure three fleurs-de-lis-or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The "rehabilitated" arms are those of the de la Cerda lineage, featured
in different places of the town, such as the gate of the palace of the
Dukes of Medinaceli (photos), the gothical-mudéjar fireplace of the palace's main
lounge, and churches.
In the 14th century, Gastón de la Cerda, 4th count of Medinaceli, became lord of Cogolludo after his marriage with Leonor de Mendoza, the second daughter of the Marquess of Santillana.
[Los escritos de Herrera Casado, 16 June 1989]
Gastón de la Cerda (1414-1454) was the elder son of Luis de la Cerda (d.
1447), 3rd Count of Medinaceli, and of his first wife, Juana Sarmiento.
He married in 1433 Leonor de la Vega y Mendoza, the daughter of Íñigo
López de Mendoza, 1st Marquess of Santillana, Adelantado Mayor of the
Border, and Catalina de Figueroa. He got three children, Luis de la
Cerda (1438-1501), future 5th Count of Medinaceli, created Duke of
Medinaceli in 1479 and 1st Count of El Puerto de Santa María; Íñigo (1448-1502), lord of Miede and Mandayona; and Juana (b. 1440), Countess of Castrojeriz.
As opposed to his father, Gastón de la Cerda was always loyal to the crown of Castile. As a reward, John II appointed him on 2 September 1445 member of the Council of Castile; the next day, he released all the goods and domains he had confiscated to his father. Gastón reconciliated in August 1446 with his father and his second wife, Juana de Leiva, one week after John II had pardoned Luis de Cerda.
During the war with Aragón, Gastón de la Cerda was captured in Gomara and kept prisoner by John II of Navarre for two years, being released in 1449 against a ransom of 60,000 gold guilders. Seeking revenge, Gastón seized the Aragonese border towns of Villarroya, Villaluenga, Verdejo, and Bordalva, prompting the invasion of his county by the king of Navarre. At the end of 1453, the kings of Castile, Aragón, and Navarre proclaimed a truce. The Aragonese incursion resulted in the depopulation of 44 hamlets located close to the border. To fund his war expeditions, Gastón de la Cerda had to sell the town of Loranca, which the king eventually swapped with him for Barca.
[Royal Academy of History]
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019