Last modified: 2016-06-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: ciempozuelos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Ciempozuelos (23,739 inhabitants in 2014; 4,964 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-east of the Community of Madrid, on the border with Castilla-La Mancha (Province of Toledo), 40 km of Madrid.
Ciempozuelos was already settled at the Acheulean period; five tombs were excavated in Cerro Castillejo, yielding a campaniform vase for which the Ciempozuelos style of ceramics was named. Ciempozuelos is said to have been founded in 180 BC by colonists from the town of Puzol and the island of Ischia, close to Naples; the town would have been named Ischadia, for a Greek word meaning "fig trees". The town was of certain significance in the Roman times; 33 cut stones, dated to the 1st-2nd century, were retrieved form river Jarama, but the buildings to which they belonged have not been identified.
After the reconquest of the Kingdom of Toledo form the Moors in 1085, Alfonso VI re-settled the village; one century later, it was transferred, together with another 18 villages located between rivers Tajuña and Henares, to the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia.
A privilege granted in 1442 and confirmed in 1457 to an inhabitant of Segovia required him to re-settle Ciempozuelos and another three villages of the Jarama valley - San Martín de la Vega, Vallequillas and El Casar - each with 150 inhabitants within two years. Most new colonists came from Segovia; while Vallequillas and El Casar were soon deserted, Ciempozuelos thrived, in spite of constant jurisdictional conflicts with Valdemoro.
The area was subsequently granted to the Counts of Chinchón by the Catholic Monarchs. Ciempozuelos was listed as the crossing of two main roads connecting Valencia to Salamanca and Toledo to Alcalá de Henares. In 1520, the villagers supported the revolted Comuneros and looted the castles of Chichón and Odón, for which they were sentenced to pay a fine of 500,000 maravedies to the Count of Chichón.
Ivan Sache, 4 July 2015
The flag of Ciempozuelos (photos, photo, photo, photo, photo) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 June 1994 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 6
July 1994 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 158,
p. 27 (text), and on 27 July 1994 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 178, pp. 24,233-24,234 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3, blue with two white waves. In the center is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Ciempozuelos is prescribed by Decree No. 2,207,
adopted on 17 August 1973 by the Spanish Government and published on
20 September 1973 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 226, pp.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Vert a canal wavy argent and azure within a wall or masoned sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.
Ivan Sache, 4 July 2015