Last modified: 2016-06-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: navalafuente |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Navalafuente - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 July 2015
The municipality of Navalafuente (1,194 inhabitants in 2014; 1,175 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Community of Madrid.
Navalafuente, established in the 12th century, belonged to Bustarviejo, a territory ruled by the Council of Segovia but surrounded by possessions of the Duke of the Infantado - the Community of the Town and Land of Buitrago and the Real de Manzanares - and of the Archbishop of Toledo-Uceda and Torrelaguna. From the 14th to the 16th century, the village was in constant struggle with the neighbouring villages of Miraflores, Canencia and Cabanillas for the rights of transhumance and pasture.
Bustarviejo was granted in 1650 the title of villa, which significantly decreased its power on its two dependencies, Navalafuente and Valdemanco. Navalafuente was eventually granted the status of villa in 1734, separating from Bustarviejo. The separation was confirmed in 1833, when Bustarviejo was incorporated to the Province of Segovia while Navalafuente was incorporated to the Province of Madrid.
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2015
The flag (photos, photo) and arms of Navalafuente are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 August 1995 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 31 August 1995 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 207, p. 7 (text), and on 12 September 1995 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 218, p. 27,496 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3, green with a white triangle whose base matches the hoist and whose vertex reaches the center of the panel. In the center of the triangle is placed the coat of arms as described.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Azure a mount argent six grass tufts vert ensigned with three fleurs-de-lis or one and two, 2. Gules a two-storeyed aqueduct argent on rocks of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The first quarter of the arms recalls the local topography. The fleurs-de-lis recall that Philip V granted the status of villa to Navalafuente in 1734. The second quarter features the Roman aqueduct of Segovia, recalling that Navalafuente once belonged to the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia.
The Royal Academy of History noticed some flaws in the proposed arms, which had also been pointed out by the Division of Historical Heritage of the Community of Madrid. The fleurs-de-lis should be or instead of argent, while the mount and the grass tufts should be represented argent and vert, respectively.
The Academy validated the proposed flag "without any inconvenience".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 1995, 192, 3: 522]
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2015