This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Villar del Olmo (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-06-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: villar del olmo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Villar del Olmo - Image by Ivan Sache, 6 August 2015

See also:

Presentation of Villar del Olmo

The municipality of Villar del Olmo (2,085 inhabitants in 2014, 2,800 ha; history) is located in the south-east of the Community of Madrid.

Villar del Olmo (Of the Elm) is named for the elms that once grew profusely in the area. Cardinal Lorenzana's Relaciones (18th century) mention the elm grove located east of the village, as "planted with black elms of regular height and elevation". Other sources claim that the village was named for a big elm once planted on the village's square.
After the Christian reconquest, Villar del Olmo was incorporated into the Community of the Town and Land of Alcalá, ruled by the Archbishop of Toledo. Granted to the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia by King Alfonso VIII in 1190 as a reward for the support of the militia of Segovia against the Almohad raids, the area was transferred back in 1214 to the Archbishop of Toledo, after the Moorish threat had vanished.
Villar del Olmo was granted the status of villa in 1561 by Philip II. The town was acquired in 1609 by Juan de Ocón y Trillo.

Ivan Sache, 6 August 2015

Symbols of Villar del Olmo

The flag and arms of Villar del Olmo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 20 September 1990 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 17 October 1990 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 247, pp. 5-6 (text), and on 5 November 1990 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 265, p. 32,647 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: In proportions 2:3. Vertically divided green and yellow, charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colours.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or an elm proper proper, 2. Vert a patriarchal cross or per pale. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The first quarter features an elm, the town's namesake, making the arms canting. The second quarter recalls the rule of the Archbishop of Toledo. The subsequent lords of the town were not considered worth being represented on the arms.
[Municipal website]

The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed symbols.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1992, 189:1, 166]

Ivan Sache, 6 August 2015