Last modified: 2016-05-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: san pedro del pinatar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of San Pedro del Pinatar, two versions - Images by Ivan Sache, 10 May 2015
The municipality of San Pedro del Pinatar (23,738 inhabitants in 2008; 2,232 ha; municipal website) is located in the east of the Region of Murcia, on the border with the Valencian Community (Province of Alicante). San Pedro del Pinatar is located between the Mediterranean Sea and the salty lagoon (170 sq. km in area; 70 km in coastal length) known as Mar Menor (lit., Minor Sea). The municipality of San Pedro del Pinatar was established in 1836, separating from Murcia.
San Pedro del Pinatar is named for St. Peter, the patron saint of the local fishers, venerated in a temple originally erected in the 17th century. The region of El Pinatar was described in Alfonso XI's Libro de la Montería (14th century) as "a thick forest where boars are hunted in winter". Until the 18th century, the villagers lived from fishing and salt extraction. In the 19th century, the village became a place of leisure for the inhabitants of the hinterland, who oversummered near Mar Menor, then recommended for its healing properties.
Ivan Sache, 10 May 2015
The flag of San Pedro del Pinatar is vertically divided light blue-white-green, sometimes with the municipal coat of arms in the white stripe (photo).
blue stands for the sea, white for the saltworks and green for the fields.
The coat of arms of San Pedro del Pinatar is "Per pale, 1. Or a pine
proper in canton a star argent, 2. Azure a tower argent over waves
azure and argent."
The pine is the symbol of the municipality.
The tower represents the defence tower erected in 1592 by the Council of Murcia in Punta de Algas. The tower, known by the plan kept in the Lorca municipal archives, was 12 m in high, quite similar to the Horadada Tower, erected in 1602-1604. These towers were used to watch the Barbary Coast pirates who threatened the villages established on the coast.
Santiago Dotor & Ivan Sache, 10 May 2015