Last modified: 2019-08-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: carbonero el mayor |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Carbonero el Mayor (2,586 inhabitants in 2010, therefore the 10th most populous municipality in the province; 6,635 ha; municipal website) is located in the centre of the Province of Segovia, 30 km from Segovia.
Carbonero el Mayor, resettled in the 12th-13th centuries, belonged to
the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia. The village was
mentioned for the first time in 1247, as Carbonera de Liedos, in a
document of the Segovia Cathedral. The village in named from Latin
comburere, "to burn", referring to the production of charcoal
(carbón) from holly oaks. "el Mayor" (the main) differentiates the
village form the neighboring Carbonero de Ahusín.
The St. John the Baptist parish church keeps a famous 21-piece altarpiece, made around 1550 in Castilian Renaissance style by Baltasar Grande and Diego de Rosales, who must have been taught by the Flemish Lombard painter Ambrosio Benson. In 1731, the altarpiece was relocated, with a probable change in the placement of the pieces.
Ivan Sache, 24 June 2011
The flag and arms of Carbonero el Mayor are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 10 February 1993 by the Segovia Provincial Government,
signed on 31 March 1993 by the President of the Government, and
published on 24 May 1993 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 96 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, gyronny yellow and black. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a pine proper its branches burning on waves azure and argent, 2. Gules a two-staged aqueduct [the Segovia Roman aqueduct] argent on rocks of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy of History accepted the proposed symbols "without
The first quarter of the arms recalls the local pinewoods and the production of charcoal that gave its name to river Pirón, of great local significance. The second quarter appears in the arms of several towns once part of the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia, located today either in the Province of Segovia or in the Community of Madrid.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 190:3, 457. 1993]
Ivan Sache, 31 March 2019