This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Naviera Vizcaína (Shipping company, Spain)

Last modified: 2022-09-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: naviera vizcaína |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


House flag of Naviera Vizcaína - Image by Ivan Sache, 27 July 2022

See also:

Presentation of Naviera Vizcaína

Naviera Vizcaína was established on 12 January 1956 by Admiral Jesús Marýa de Rotaeche, Marquess of Unza del Valle, former Undersecretary of the Merchant Navy, and Demetrio Carceller, former Minister of Commerce, to supply crude oil to the Escomberas refinery operated by the Oil National Company (Repesa-Enpetrol).
Banco de Bilbao and Banco de Vizcaya kept 40% of the company's shares, the remaining 60% being in the hands of the founders' families. Banco BBV, formed in 1988 by the merger of the two banks, controlled then 90% of the company's shares. The bank quickly transferred the company to REPSOL, the national oil company, who established on 29 June 1989 REPSOL-Naviera Vizcaína, uniting its different fleets (REPSOL-Petróleo, REPSOL-Butano and Productos Asfálticos) under a single house flag.
REPSOL progressively withdrew from shipping; the last two ships were sold to MARPETROL, which registered them under Naviera Vizcaína. The new company severed all links with the historical one, closing its offices in
Bilbao in 1999.
[Breve historia de la Naviera Vizcaína S.A.]

Ivan Sache, 27 July 2022

House flag of Naviera Vizcaína

The house flag of Naviera Vizcaína was white with a red border and the interlaced red letters "N" and "V".
Ships and Flags]

Ivan Sache, 27 July 2022