This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Villers-sur-Mer (Municipality, Calvados, France)

Last modified: 2021-07-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: villers-sur-mer |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Villers-sur-Mer, current and former versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 20 March 2021, and Arnaud Leroy, 11 January 2004, respectively

See also:

Presentation of Villers-sur-Mer

The municipality of Villers-sur-Mer (2,652 inhabitants in 2008; 899 ha; municipal website) is located on the Channel, between Deauville and Houlgate.

Villers is a Roman origin, as evidenced by its name and by archeological findings (remains of a fortified camp and a Roman way). It is said that William the (not yet) Conqueror passed through Villers in 1066 to go to Dives, where he set up his fleet. The village increased in the 17th-18th centuries with the building of several farms and of a castle.
The sea resort of Villers was "invented" during the Second Empire by the architect Félix Pigeory and the journalist Pierre Pitre Chevalier, then editor-in-chief of the Figaro. Among the rich families which settled in Villers, the Demachy, Napoléon III's bankers, built the San Carlo Manor. The Countess of Béarn, born Demachy, dedicated herself to the town of Villers during the First World War. The pharmacist Mariani, who invented in the 19th century a tonic prefiguring Coca-Cola, also built a big estate in Villers.
Villers attracted members of the intelligentsia such as the diva Marthe Chenal, the musicians Alfred Bruneau and Charles Koechlin, the painters Paul Huet, Constant Troyant and Eugène Boudin, and the physicist Louis Armand.
Villers-sur-Mer was liberated on 22 August 1944 by the Belgian brigade commanded by General Piron.

The main monument of Villers-sur-Mer is a small stele materializing the "entrance" of the Greenwich meridian on the French territory. The meridian is shown by a blue line, so that you can "ride" the meridian.
The beach of Villers ends in the foot of the Black Cow Cliffs, named for big rocks that fell down from the cliff down to the beach. The cliffs spread on five kilometers between Villers and Houlgate, including part of the municipal territory of Auberville and Gonneville. On 2 February 1995, a Decree of the Ministry of Environment listed the cliffs, very rich in fossiles, on the register of "places of scientific and landscape significance in the department of Calvados", protecting the whole area. Picking up fossiles on the seashore is permitted, but any excavation is prohibited (and extremely hazardous), except for limited sampling with scientific aim. Fossiles found in the cliffs can be seen in the paleontological museum of Villers.

Ivan Sache, 11 January 2004

Flag of Villers-sur-Mer

The flag of Villers-sur-Mer (photo, 2008; photo, 2018) is made of the municipal logo surrounded by a white border. A former version of the flag, seen in 2003, has no white border.
The motto means "The sea in pays d'Auge", the Pays d'Auge being the area limited by rivers Touques and Dive, mostly known for the three local cheeses (camembert, livarot, pont-l'évêque) and apple-derived products (cider and calvados).

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 20 March 2021