This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Marsannay-la-Côte (Municipality, Côte-d'Or, France)

Last modified: 2022-02-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: marsannay-la-côte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Marsannay-la-Côte - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 5 June 2021

See also:

Presentation of Marsannay-la-Côte

The municipality of Marsannay-la-Côte (5,311 inhabitants in 2019; 1,285 ha) is located 10 km south-west of Dijon.

Marsannay-la-Côte has been inhabited since the earliest times. The Gallo-Roman presence is attested and it is probable that the Romans introduced grapevine cultivation. Priest Courtépée claimed at the end of the 18th century that in 658 there was in Marsannay an important vineyard dependent on the abbey of Saint-Pierre de Bèze, copmposed of twelve grapevines.
In the late 9th century or early 10th century, a chapel was founded to house the relics of St. Urban, which were regularly transferred from Dijon to Marsannay. Increased in 1142 by Duke Odo II, it was then transformed into a monastery mentioned in 1255. A dovecote, still visible, was added to it in the 13th century. The wine-growing village was also protected by other local abbeys.
The village was called Marcenay-en-Montagne for a long time before taking its current name of Marsannay-la-Côte in 1783.

The municipal territory includes 186 ha of vineyards. Located at the northern end of the Côte de Nuits, they produce red (Pinot Noir), white (Chardonnay) and rosés (Pinot Noir). The Marsannay AOC (appellation d'origine contrôlée) was created in 1987.

Olivier Touzeau, 5 June 2021

Flag of Marsannay-la-Côte

The flag of Marsannay-la-Côte (photo, photo) is white with the municipal logo.
Symbolizing grapevine rows, in the three colors of Marsannay wines, the logo also shows the municipal coat of arms, "Barry wavy of six or and azure a chief sable two horse riders argent confronting with their jousting lances", which was designed by Pierre Quillardet (1902-1990), a wine-grower and cabinet-maker from Marsannay.
The chief recalls the Pas d'Armes tournament organized for forty days in July 1443 at the foot of the Charlemagne Tree, in memory of an alleged imperial siesta in its shadow, at the place known today as La Charme.
"Barry wavy or and azure" were the arms of Josserand of Brancion, lord of Marsannay from 1225 to 1250.
[Le Bien Public, 25 July 2011]

Josserand IV of Brancion is presented by the chronicler Joinville as a fierce warrior, who fought in 36 battles and won several times the "prize of arms". Member of the ost (militia) led by his cousin, the count of Mâcon, he once fought the Germans who looted monasteries in Mâcon, and "expelled them with big sword strokes, killing and injuring several of them". As a good Christian, he was "offered the grace to die in the service of God against the Infidels." Josserand indeed died in Egypt in the disastrous battle of Mansurah, during the Seventh Crusade.
The tower featured on the logo belongs to the Notre-Dame de l'Assomption church (photos), which was rebuilt from 1830 to 1839 after the collapse of the former tower. That kind of neo-classical church architecture is quite uncommon in Burgundy.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 6 June 2021