This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Évran (Municipality, Côtes-d'Armor, France)


Last modified: 2022-03-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: évran |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Évran - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 9 October 2005

See also:

Presentation of Évran

The municipality of Évran (1,757 inhabitants in 2019; 2,356 ha) is located 10 km south of Dinan and 10 km north of Bécherel.

Évran might have been named either from Gaulish equo, "water", or from Gaulish eburo, "a yew". The early parish of Évran was made with parts of the even earlier parishes of Plouasne (south of Linon) and Plesder (north of Linon).
Évran was first mentioned in 1156, when the bishop of Saint-Malo confirmed the possession of the St. Peter church in "Ivran" to the monastery of Léhon, located near Dinan. A charter dated 1182 mentions "Ewram" on the list of the goods of the Knight Templars, who owned in the past a hamlet called L'Hôpital in the south of the village. In 1196, yet another charter mentions lord Hugues de Ewram, father of Geffroy (mentioned himself as Gaufridus de Ewran in 1213). In 1198, there was a big dispute between the Prior of Léhon and Robert de Broons, both of them claiming the tithe collected in Évran. The prior won the case.

The powerful family of Beaumanoir built the eponymic castle in Évran in 1212. The castle was destroyed during the Wars of Religion in the beginning of the 16th century and rebuilt in style Louis XIII in 1628 by François Peschart, Councillor at the Parliament of Brittany. In the beginning of the 13th century, Hervé de Beaumanoir and several Breton knights revolted against John Lackland after he had murdered his nephew Arthur, the young Duke of Brittany. Jean III de Beaumanoir, lord of Merdrignac and La Hardouinaye and Marshal of Brittany, Governor of Josselin for Charles de Blois, one of the two pretenders to the throne of Brittany involved in the War of Succession of Brittany, was among the winners of the famous Combat des Trentes fought on 27 March 1531. The last Beaumanoir, Emmanuel-Henri, Marquis de Lavardin, was killed during the battle of Speyer (Germany) in 1703.
In 1359, Constable Bertrand Du Guesclin was attacked and captured near Évran by English troops commanded by Robin Adar. On 24 July 1363, Charles de Blois and Jean de Montfort signed the treaty of the Moors of Évran, expected to end the War of Succession of Brittany. However, the war ended only in 1365 when Charles de Blois died during the battle of Auray.

The municipality of Évran was formed in 1790. The village of Saint-Judoce was incorporated to the new municipality but separated to form an independent municipality in 1803. The municipal territory was further modified by Order of 7 September 1840 (exchange of enclaves with Saint-André-des-Eaux); by Law of 2 June 1844 (exchange of enclaves with Saint-Judoce); and by Law of 6 April 1934 (separation of the northern part of the municipality to form the municipality of Les Champs-Géraux).

Ivan Sache, 9 October 2005

Flag of Évran

The flag of Évran (photo) is a vertical banner of the municipal arms, "Azure ten billets argent 4 + 3 + 2 + 1).
These are the arms of Beaumanoir, as shown on a seal dated 1379, also used by the municipalities of Langolay-sur-Rance and Plaintel.

Arnaud Leroy & Ivan Sache, 13 October 2005