This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Plancoët (Municipality, Côtes-d'Armor, France)

Last modified: 2015-04-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: plancoët |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Plancoët - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 June 2014

See also:

Presentation of Plancoët

The municipality of Plancoët (3,084 inhabitants in 2011; 1,149 ha; municipal website) is located 25 km south-west of Saint-Malo.

Plancoët is named for the Breton words plane coat, meaning "a flat wood". The village was indeed established in a clearing of the forest and subsequently detached from the primitive parish of Pluduno.
Plancoët was first mentioned, as Plancoit, in a charter signed in 1179 by Geoffroy de Dinan. Plancoët was on the frontline of the war that opposed the Duke of Brittany to the Count of Penthièvre in the 11th-14th centuries. Most of the houses of the village were burned down in 1252. The castle and its fortifications, originally built in the 11th century by the lords of Dinan, were suppressed in 1389 by the Duke of Brittany.
The domain of Plancoët was acquired in 1782 by the uncle of the diplomat and writer François-René de Châteaubriand (1768-1848), who spent his early youth in the house of his grandmother, located in the village.
Plancoët experienced a limited industrial development (tanneries and a distillery) in the 19th century, boosted by the port on river Arguenon, initiated in 1828 and completed in 1840. The inauguration of the railway in 1879 caused the decline of the port.

The only mineral natural water in Brittany is produced by the Plancoët source. Gushing forth in the Nazareth borough, the source was officially registered in 1928 by the Ministry of Health upon request of Dr. Chambrin, Mayor of Plancoët. The water, originally sold locally as "Nazareth table water", was commercialized on a larger scale from 1962 onwards (website).

Ivan Sache, 7 June 2014

Flag of Plancoët

The flag of Plancoët (photo) is white with a black saltire cantonned by four red roses.
The flag is a banner of the municipal arms, "Argent a saltire sable cantonned with four roses gules".

Ivan Sache, 7 June 2014