This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Plouézec (Municipality, Côtes-d'Armor, France)


Last modified: 2023-09-02 by olivier touzeau
Keywords: plouezec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Plouézec - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 13 November 2021

See also:

Presentation of Plouézec

Plouézec (3,726 inhabitants in 2020; 2,787 ha) is a commune in the Côtes-d'Armor department in Brittany in northwestern France.

Plouézec has been as much as Paimpol turned towards cod fishing since the 15th century and, at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, towards deep sea fishing off Iceland.
Nowadays, oyster farming plays an important role in the economy of Plouézec. The oyster beds are located on the side of the Anse de Paimpol.

Plouézec's main harbor, Port Lazo, was in the 19th century the port of call of more than 80 ships involved in fishing and dredging of limy sand used to fertilize the poor soils. Now a marina, it is also the base of oyster-breeders maintaining parks in the cove. The place's odd name, from Breton "lac'han" / "lacho", "a slaughter", is allegedly related to an episode of the War of the Succession of Brittany (14th century). Leaving the vessels moored in the cove under limited guard, English troopers scouted the hamlets. During the night and low tide, while the local men repelled the invaders, the women burned down the ships and killed the guards, therefore the name given to the place (source: Municipal website).

Olivier Touzeau and Ivan Sache , 17 November 2021

Flag of Plouézec

The flag of Plouézec is white with logo (photo, 2021).

Olivier Touzeau, 13 November 2021

The logo features a faithful representation of the western part of the municipality, with Paimpol cove ending with Plouézec point and the Mez Goëlo (Off Goëlo) islands. The biggest island, Grand Mez Goëlo, was once used to park sheep.
The logo features the Craca windmill, which was erected in 1844 on the cliff overlooking the sea from 60 m. At the time, there were 12 windmills in Plouézec, that is c. one mill for 300 villagers. All of them disappeared but the Craca mill, which was eventually closed in 1927 by the last miller, Le Cozannec. Abandoned for decades and mostly ruined, the mill was acquired in 1993 and completely rebuilt over the next eight years. The wings and the skeleton were redesigned from scratch by Jean Peillet, one of the last mill builders in the region.
On 28 May 2007, a violent storm broke down three out of the four wings of the mill. The restored mill was inaugurated on 15 June 2008 (source: Craca mill website).

Ivan Sache, 17 November 2021