This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Breteuil-sur-Iton (Municipality, Eure, France)

Last modified: 2021-06-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: breteuil-sur-iton |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]

Flag of Breteuil-sur-Iton - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 26 January 2021


See also:


Presentation of Breteuil-sur-Iton

The municipality of Breteuil-sur-Iton (4,353 inhabitants in 2018; 5,505 ha) is located on river Charentonne, 30 km south-west of Évreux. The municipality was established on 1 January 2016 as the merger of the former municipalities of Breteuil, Cintray and La Guéroulde.

Breteuil was fortified in 1054 by William the Conqueror, surrounded by ditches fed by the diversion of water from river Iton. In 1354, following the Treaty of Mantes, the town was ceded by king of France John II the Good to his son-in-law, king Charles II of Navarre, along with many other Norman lands. After the two kings had clashed, Breteuil was seized from Navarra in April 1356 by John II the Good and Marshal Arnoul of Audrehem. Returned to Charles II in 1358, Breteuil was taken back in 1371 by Bertrand du Guesclin on Charles V's behalf.

Olivier Touzeau, 26 January 2021


Flag of Breteuil-sur-Iton

The flag of Breteuil-sur-Iton (photo, photo) is white with the greater municipal arms and the name of the municipality below.

The arms of Breteuil-sur-Iton, "Lozengy or and gules a chief azure three fleurs de lis or", are the arms of the 1st earls of Leicester, with a chief of France added.
Robert of Beaumont, 1st earl of Leicester, count of Meulan (c. 1040/1050 – 5 June 1118), also known as Robert of Meulan, was a powerful Norman nobleman, one of the very few proven Companions of William the Conqueror during the Norman conquest of England in 1066.

Olivier Touzeau, 26 January 2021