This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Brionne (Municipality, Eure, France)

Last modified: 2021-06-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: brionne |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Brionne - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 1 February 2021

See also:

Presentation of Brionne

The municipality of Brionne (4,230 inhabitants in 2018; 1,677 ha) is located 40 km north-west of Évreux.
Brionne was known to the Romans as Brivadunum / Brividiorum, a name formed on Celtic roots meaning "the bridge over the river". Located at the junction of roads serving Lillebonne, Évreux, Lisieux and Rouen, Brionne was the place of a significant military camp.
The keep of Brionne was built in the 11th century and dominates the valley of Risle. Dismantled in the 18th century by the lords of Brionne, the keeps belongs to the municipality since 1864. It is one of the few Norman square defensive keeps that still exist today.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 18 February 2021

Flag of Brionne

The flag of Brionne (photo) is square, white with a golden fringe, the municipal coat of arms, "Gules a tower argent issuant from a river of the same charged with letter B azure flanked by two shuttles or a chief azure three fleurs de lis or", in the center and the words "Ville de Brionne" in golden letters.
The shuttles recall that Brionne was one of the cradles of textile industry in the valley of the Risle. General Le Marois (1776-1836), aide-de-camp of Napoleon from 1795 to 1814, created count in 1808 and peer of France on 2 June 1815, established in Brionne in 1803 one of the first "hydraulic manufactures" in the department of Eure. He did not personally directed the factory but appointed a manager.
[René Rouault de la Vigne. 1969. Nobles et anoblis dans l'industrie textile en Haute-Normandie. Études Normandes 227, 1-8]

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 18 February 2021