Last modified: 2017-05-31 by ivan sache
Keywords: finistere | kerlouan | lion (blue) | chicory |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Kerlouan - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 14 October 2002
Kerlouan is a village located in the north of the department of
Finistère. The center of the village is not located on the
shore but the municipality has 14 kms of beaches, stretching over the
Côte des Légendes, a rocky coast bristled with
several islets and reefs.
Kerlouan means in Breton "St. Louan's village". St. Louan, a.k.a. Elouan, Eloean, Luan and Luhan, was an ermit who lived in the VIIIth century. Kerlouan, then known as Kerlouen, became a parish in 1330, and belonged at that time to the Bishopric of Léon (Bro Leon). The modern name of Kerlouan appeared in 1467. The inhabitants of the northern coast of Léon were in the past fishers and wrack gatherers. The village of Menehem, administratively part of Kerlouan, was built around a customs post in the XVIIIth century, and abandoned in 1980. It is now a protected area.
Ivan Sache, 3 October 2002
The flag of Kerlouan, as communicated by the municipal administration, is white with a vertical blue stripe placed
along the hoist, the municipal coat of arms in the middle, and the
name of the municipality, in blue capital letters, placed vertically
along the fly.
The lion in the first quarter of the municipal coat of arms most probably refers to the canting lion of Léon. The charge in the third quarter is a chicory.
Ivan Sache, 14 October 2002