This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Dinard (Municipality, Ille-et-Vilaine, France)

Last modified: 2019-05-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: dinard |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]

Flag of Dinard - Image by Pascal Vagnat, 3 August 1998


See also:


Presentation of Dinard

The municipality of Dinard (9,936 inhabitants in 2015; 784 ha) is a famous seaside resort located opposite Saint-Malo, across river Rance.

Ivan Sache, 11 February 2006


Flag of Dinard

The flag of Dinard is composed of ten horizontal, alternating blue and white stripes. Along the hoist is placed a wide vertical yellow stripe, charged with a standing black bear (in Berlin style). The bear is surmounted by an antique yellow crown.
The flag, sketched by Philippe Rault and designed by the professional art designer Jakez Derouét, was presented to the public on 25 May 1998. This is the result of work by the Breton Vexillological Society, commissioned in 1997 by the Municipal Council of Dinard to submit proposals for a new flag.

The only requirement imosed by the Municipal Council was explicit reference to King Arthur, the mythic founder of the town.
Blue and white, the town's colors adopted in 1989, refer to Arthur's alleged arms, "Azure, three crowns or". The horizontal stripes represent the sea and Dinard's emblematic, stripy beach tents. The number of stripes is meaningless.
Yellow represents the thin sand of the beaches.

The bear is King Arthur's symbolic representation. Arthur landed near Dinard in spring 513 to help the Breton King Hoël to repel the Frisian invaders. He built there a fort named Dinarthu, the Bear's fort. In Breton, arth (ancient Breton) or arz (modern Breton) means "a bear" and represents the miltary power of royal essence. Dinarthu became Dinarth and later Dinarz, translated to French as Dinart, and finally, erroneously changed to Dinard when the place became popular at the end of the 19th century.
[P. Rault. L'histoire des drapeaux bretons, 1998 [rau98]; P. Rault. Ar Banniel [arb], No. 6, July 1998]

Ivan Sache, 3 August 1998


Former flags of Dinard

[Flag]         [Flag]

Former flags of Dinard - Images by Ivan Sache, 11 September 2006

The flag used in Dinard until 1998 is a banner of the municipal arms, based on the arms of the Priory of Dinard (founded 1324), "Vert, a cross ermine". A red vertical stripe is added to each quarter and the ermine spots are bicolor (black and white), a unique and unexplained occurrence in Brittany. The flag is heraldically incorrect (color on color in the quarters) and suffers from low visibility. It was often replaced with a simpler vertically divided green-red flag.
[P. Rault. L'histoire des drapeaux bretons, 1998 [rau98]]

Ivan Sache, 3 August 1998


Flag controversy in Dinard

An article by Christelle Guibert posted on the Saint-Malo Ouest-France website (article no longer on line) on 9 August 2005, Patrick Desjardins, the owner of the free newspaper Emeraude Journal sued Marius Mallet, the Mayor of Dinard, because the municipal flag of Dinard hoisted during the International Jumping competition was placed above the French national flag and the flags of the participating countries. Desjardins also complained that the flag of Dinard was twice bigger than the other ones.
The public prosecutor's office (parquet) of Saint-Malo has to decide what to do with the complaint and if the offence of "outrage to the national flag" is relevant in that case. The plaintiff says that if he wins he will give the money to a war veterans' association. It seems that he already has a legal issue with the Mayor.
When the flag of Dinard was adopted, Marie-Paule Chevalier, then President of the Association of the Friends of Dinard and today Municipal Councillor in the opposition group, said that the suppression of the former coat of arms with the ermines on the red and green background was an outrage to the ancient inhabitants of Dinard. She also complained that the new flag had not been discussed during any session of the Municipal Council.

Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 16 October 2005


Cercle celtique de Dinard

[Flag]

Flag of Cercle Celtique de Dinard - Image by Ivan Sache, 3 August 1998

The Cercle Celtique de Dinard (Dinard Celtic Circle) uses a green flag with a white cross charged with 11 black ermine spots.
[P. Rault. L'histoire des drapeaux bretons, 1998 [rau98]]

Ivan Sache, 3 August 1998


Yacht clubs

Yacht Club de Dinard

[Flag]         [Burgee]

Flag and burgee of YCD - Images by Arnaud Leroy and Ivan Sache, respectively, 25 December 2004

YCD (website) was registered on 5 September 1928, with publication on 11 September 1928 in the French official gazette, as Société du Club Nautique de la Rance (CNR). Yachting was already a popular sport in Dinard, but with little formal organization: the two clubs that existed in the 1920s, Société Nautique de Dinard and Voile Dinardaise organized a few regattas every year, mostly involving work boats. The British colony established in the town since the 1860s fostered the incorporation of a yacht club and the organization of official regattas.

Club Nautique de la Rance was founded by a group of "dedicated and competent yachtsmen" led by Count de Gasquet-James. Most of them were fluent people living in Paris and spending summer vacation in Dinard. In 1929, the club, counting 115 members and 52 yachts, organized the first cruise-regatta Dinard-Bréhat-Dinard, enrolling 14 boats. In 1930, CNR revived the cruise-regatta Cowes-Dinard, ran for the last time in 1909, in partnership with the Ocean Racing Club, the Royal Yacht Squadron and the neighboring Société Nautique de la Baie de Saint-Malo. Seven yachts of more than 7 tons registered, but only four competed on 18 July because of the bad weather. However, Yachts et Yachting, the French reference review, stated that "This international yachting event was fully successful, which allows CNR to be ranked as the very first French yacht club".

During the Extraordinary Assembly held in Paris on 18 April 1932, it was decided to erect a club house in a municipal plot granted with the support of the industrialist René Kieffer (1880-1945), owner of the Grand Hôtel de Dinard, Mayor of the town (1930-1932) and member of the club, and to change the club's name to Yacht Club de Dinard (YCD). Designed by the noted architect Yves Hémar (1886-1955, member of the neo-Breton school), the club house is still in use today.
In the late 1930s, YCD membership increased to 500, while the fleets included some 100 vessels. The Second World War stopped the club's development, which resumed after the liberation.

The flag of YCD is white with two blue rectangle triangles placed near the hoist and a red star placed in the white part. The burgee of YCD is a triangular version of the club's flag.

Ivan Sache, 22 January 2019


Club Nautique de Dinard

[Flag]         [Burgee]

Flag and burgee of CND - Images by Ivan Sache, 22 January 2019

Club Nautique de Dinard, established in 1860, probably disappeared during the First World War. Its emblems are presented on a color plate (Lloyd's Register of British and Foreign Shipping. List of Yacht & Sailing Club Flags, No. 8) dated 1902-1903 (image).
The flag of Club Nautique de Dinard was vertically divided white, 16 black ermine spots on four horizontal rows, and red. The derived burgee was vertically divided white, a black ermine spot, and red.

Ivan Sache, 22 January 2019