This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

La Mézière (Municipality, Ille-et-Vilaine, France)

Last modified: 2022-03-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: la mézière |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of La Mézière - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 20 October 2021

See also:

Presentation of La Mézière

The municipality of La Mézière (4,971 inhabitants in 2019; 1,623 ha) is located 15 km north of Rennes.

La Mézière has been inhabited since the earliest times, as evidenced by the White Rock menhir and flints from the Neolithic discovered at La Patenoterais. The village was crossed by ancient communication routes which were modernized under the Gallo-Roman Empire. Occupation spanned from the 1st to the 3rd century. At the end of the Empire in the 4th century the buildings constructed of stone and earth and covered with red tiles fell into ruins, hence the name of the place, from Latin maceria, "a ruined wall".
The church and the castle would appear around yer 1000. The parish of Mézière is listed in 1235 in the chartulary of Saint-Melaine.
The Duke of Brittany Jean IV camped for two days at La Mézière with his troops in October 1380 to negotiate with the Earl of Buckingham the withdrawal of the English troops. On 3 June 1597, the town was set on fire and looted by the troops of the Holy League commanded by Jean d'Avaugour, Saint-Laurent and Tréméheuc.

Olivier Touzeau, 20 October 2021

Flag of La Mézière

The flag of La Mézière (photo, photo, photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms, "Per fess embattled, 1. Argent a deer gules attired or, 2. Azure eleven billets argent 4, 3, 4 each charged with an ermine spot sable".

Olivier Touzeau, 20 October 2021