Last modified: 2021-07-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: chateauroux |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Châteauroux - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 27 October 2020
The municipality of Châteauroux (43,442 inhabitants in 2018; 1,904 ha) is located is the capital 300 km south of Paris and 129 km south-east of Tours.
Châteauroux is named for a castle (château) built in the late 10th century by Raoul, lord of Déols. From 920 to 1008, the Norman raids forced the monks of the abbey of Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys, founded in Brittany by St. Gildas, to bring the saint's relics to the abbey of Saint-Gildas of Châteauroux that they founded under the protection of Ebbo, Raoul's father.
The domain of Châteauroux, owned by the Chauvigny family from 1207 to 1473, was created a county in 1497 for John V of Aumont, and a duchy in 1616, then held by Henry II, Prince of Condé. Reincorporated to the royal domain in 1736, the duchy of Châteauroux was offerred to Marie Anne of Mailly-Nesle by Louis XV in 1744.
Olivier Touzeau, 27 October 2020
The most recenty seen flag of Châteauroux (before 2015), already shown in the Pavoifêtes flagmaker's catalogue in 2005, is with the municipal logo, composed of the municipal coat of arms, "Azure a castle argent, masoned and port and windows sable roofed gules with weather vanes or" and the name of the municipality below.
The Armorial Général shows the arms of Châteauroux as "Argent a castle gules on a base vert" (image).
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 1 May 2021
Earlier reported flags
Earlier flags of Châteauroux - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 27 October 2020
Châteauroux used in 2005 a flag vertically divided blue-red, the main colors of the municipal coat of arms. The town also used on special occasions the alternative flag of Berry, vertically divided green-yellow-red.
Pascal Vagnat, 18 July 2021