This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Donges (Municipality, Loire-Atlantique, France)


Last modified: 2021-06-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: donges |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Donges - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 17 May 2021

See also:

Presentation of Donges

The municipality of Donges (in Breton, Donez; 6,618 inhabitants in 2009; 599 ha) is located on the northern shore of the estuary of river Loire, 15 km east of Saint-Nazaire.
The name of Donges comes from donjon, "a keep". The castle built in Donges by the Viscounts of Donges in the 11th century was destroyed in 1127.

The oil refinery of Donges was built in 1932-1935. Totally destroyed during the Second World War, the town and the refinery were rebuilt from scratch after the liberation. The St. Martin church, rebuilt in concrete, has a calvary and coloured glass-windows designed by Max Ingrand. The refinery of Donges, operated by Total, is the second French refinery, with a yearly production of 11 millions of metric tons of refined oil.

Ivan Sache, 11 November 2002

Flag of Donges

The flag of Donges (photo) is a banner of the municipal arms, "Checquered or and azure", which were the arms of the first Viscounts of Donges.

Olivier Touzeau, 17 May 2021

Former flag of Donges


Former flag of Donges - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 11 November 2002

The flag of Donges featured in the 2000s in the catalogue of the Doublet flag maker (photo) was white with the greater municipal arms in the center, surrounded on top by "VILLE" (Town") and bottom by "DE DONGES" in red letters arranged in a semi-circular pattern.
The torches recall the refinery while the anchor recalls the port. The Latin motto of the town written on the scroll beneath the shield is "Ad rivum Ligeris, labore nobila potens semper eris" (Latin, On the bank of the Loire, through work which ennobles you, you shall always be mighty).

Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 11 November 2002