Last modified: 2021-06-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: pornichet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pornichet, current and former versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 15 May 2021
The municipality of Pornichet (10,952 inhabitants in 2018; 1,267 ha) is located 10 km west of Saint-Nazaire.
Pornichet was until 1900 a hamlet of Saint-Nazaire. Fishing and the salt trade have been the main souirces of income for the hamlet for centuries. The ships used to transport salt, known gabarres, sailed on a stall that was located along the current rue de la République to reached the saltworks that were located at the level of the current
After the opening of the Saint-Nazaire railway station in 1857, estates appeared on the coast from 1860. The abandoned salt marshes were backfilled as well as the landing stage, the work being completed in 1899.
Thee municipality of Pornichet was established by a Decree issued on 9 April 1900, with an area of 1,249 hectares and a population of 1,263 inhabitants. The territory of the municipality was made up of 1,152 hectares from Saint-Nazaire (974 inhabitants) and 97 hectares from Escoublac (289 inhabitants). When it was created, the new municipality had already 500 estates, 10 hotels, a casino and 8,000 "foreigners", as tourists visiting the resort were called at the time.
Olivier Touzeau, 15 May 2021
The flag of Pornichet (photo) is white with the municipal logo, which was adopted in 2018. The former flag (photo,
photo) was white with a slightly different version of the logo.
The municipal logo was amended with the help of the designer Anaïs Marchais. The graphic lines were preserved while the dolphin was re-designed to better match the statue.
[Ouest France, 25 April 2018]
The dolphin has been the emblem of Pornichet since 1989, when artist Michel Bassompierre (
[L'Écho, 21 December 2018]
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 13 June 2021
Burgee of the CNSM - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 April 2010
Sainte-Marguerite is one of the beaches of Pornichet, located not far from Saint-Marc, world-famous as Mr. Hulot's summer vacation place.
Guide Bleu Bains de mer de Bretagne (1925) presents Sainte-Marguerite as "a small aristocratic resort, with beautiful mansions surrounded by gardens and a good hotel; golf course".
The beach and the mansions are still there, but the old Hôtel de la plage de Sainte-Marguerite seems to have been replaced by bigger, modern buildings.
The burgee of Club Nautique de Sainte-Marguerite (CNSM) (website), a yacht club which seems to have disappeared, was white with a light blue cross voided through, the vertical arm filled in red and the horizontal arm charged with the black letters "CNSM" flanked by two black ermine spots.
Ivan Sache, 4 April 2010