Last modified: 2021-04-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: château-renard |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Château-Renard - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 16 January 2021
The municipality of Château-Renard (2,153 inhabitants in 2018; 4,034 ha) is located 80 km north-east of Orléans. Originally known as Châteaurenard, the municipality was renamed to Château-Renard on 19 November 1998, ending a centuries-old homonymy with the municipality of Châteaurenard (Bouches-du-Rhône).
Olivier Touzeau, 16 January 2021
The flag of Château-Renard (photo, photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms, "Gules a castle argent masoned sable in base a fox or a chief azure three fleurs-de-lis or", surmounted by a five-towered mural crown or,and the name of the municipality in black Gothic letters beneath the shield.
The arms form a rebus of the name of the municipality, featuring a castle (château) and a fox (renard). Château-Renard is named for the castle erected by Renard the Old, 2nd Count of Sens (948-996/999).
In French, a fox was originally known as volpil or goupil. These words were progressively superseded by renard, modeled on the fox portrayed in the famous Roman de Renart. Renart was indeed an anthroponym based on Frankish *Reginhart, via the Latinized form Reinardus found in Nivardius' Ysengrimus (1151-1152), the oldest known precursor of the Roman de Renart.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 29 March 2021