This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Segré-en-Anjou-Bleu (Municipality, Maine-et-Loire, France)

Last modified: 2021-07-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: segré-en-anjou-bleu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Segré-en-Anjou-Bleu - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 19 April 2021

See also:

Presentation of Segré-en-Anjou-Bleu

The municipality of Segré-en-Anjou-Bleu (17,474 inhabitants in 2018; 24,154 ha; municipal website) was established on 15 December 2016 by the former municipalities of Segré, Aviré, Le Bourg-d'Iré, La Chapelle-sur-Oudon, Châtelais, La Ferrière-de-Flée, L'Hôtellerie-de-Flée, Louvaines, Marans, Montguillon, Noyant-la-Gravoyère, Nyoiseau, Sainte-Gemmes-d'Andigné, Saint-Martin-du-Bois, and Saint-Sauveur-de-Flée.

Olivier Touzeau, 19 April 2021

Flag of Segré-en-Anjou-Bleu

The flag of Segré-en-Anjou-Bleu (photo) is white with the municipal logo.
The logo, unveiled on 16 December 2016, was selected by a working group composed of 23 councillors representing the 15 former municipalities forming Segré-en-Anjou-Bleu and validated by the board of the Communauté de communes.
The "S" symbolizes the river, while the 15 strips represent the 15 delegate municipalities, each identified by specific color.
[Ouest France, 17 December 2016]

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 16 July 2021



Flag of Segré - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 10 April 2004

The former municipality of Segré (7,155 inhabitants; 1,587 ha) is located in the westernmost part of Anjou. The town was built around a schistose spur dominating the confluence of rivers Oudon and Verzée.

Segré's Latin name, Secretum, means "isolated", "secret". The village seems to have remained isolated until the 10th century, when Fulk I the Red, the founder of the first house of Anjou, built a fort on the schistose spur dominating the village. The fort was a simple wooden tower erected on a stand of earth. In the 11th century, the fiercy count Fulk III the Black replaced the wooden tower by a big stone keep. The fort was seized in 1066 by Duke of Brittany Conan II. In 1191, the domain of Segré, belonging to Geoffroy de la Guerche, was confiscated by Richard Lionheart, King of England and Duke of Normandy, who offered it to his wife Berangeria of Navarre.

In the 16th century, during the Wars of Religion, Segré took the party of the Holy League, the union of Catholic princes led by Henry I, Duke of Guise. King of France Henry III ordered Guise's assassination in Blois in 1588, causing a nation-wide uprising. In 1589, Count of La Rochepot seized Segré in the name of Henry III, who would be murdered the same year. The town was plundered and the fort and town walls were suppressed, as well as all the fortified manors in the neighborhood. In 1635, Cardinal of Richelieu made of Segré a barony for his protégé William II of Bautru, lord of Louvaines.

After the French Revolution, Segré was seized in 1795 by 2,000 Chouan counter-revolutionaries, who overwhelmed 200 Republican soldiers in four hours. The town was quickly seized back by the Republicans and remained a Republican stronghold in a mostly Royalist region. As a reward, Segré became a sous-préfecture of the department of Maine-et-Loire in 1800, causing the wrath of the inhabitants of le Lion-d'Angers, then a bigger and less isolated town. Segré was indeed a fairly small town, with only 700 inhabitants in 1841. The incorporation of neighbouring municipalities and the industrial development caused a steady increase in the population: 2,894 in 1878; 3,551 in 1891; 4,874 in 1939; and 7,155 today.

The flag of Segré (photo) was white with the municipal arms, "Quarterly first and fourth argent a bend azure second and third azure a pale argent", outlined in black.
The same folio features another four coats of arms designed on the same template, which clearly indicates that they were all designed from scratch by d'Hozier's zealous employees.
The arms of Segré are shown in the Armorial Général (image). The same folio features another two coats of arms designed on the same template, which clearly indicates that they were all designed from scratch by d'Hozier's zealous employees.

Ivan Sache & Olivier Touzeau, 19 April 2021