Last modified: 2021-03-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: homécourt |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Homécourt - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 2 October 2020
The municipality of Homécourt (6,258 inhabitants in 2018; 444 ha) is located 90 km north of Nancy.
Merovingian burials were excavated in Homécourt in 1880 in a quarry located in Grande Fin. In the 12th century, a fortress known as Castrum Rista (fafter the Riste de Lunéville family) was reported on the site of a barred spur. The castle was suppressed in 1215 by Henry II. On the left bank of the river Orne, a mill called “mill of Roche” is indicated as well as remains of bread ovens and a well. On the right bank of the Orne, a second mill dating from the 12th century was reported.
Homécourt was a village of the Duchy of Bar, which was incorporated to the Kingdom of France in 1766 and became part of the department of Moselle in 1790; the town but remained French in 1871, being a border village with Germany. In 1895, the rural village, then with 500 inhabitants, became a steel town. Its population increased dramatically, reaching over 7,000 in 1914.
On August 3, 1914, a German battalion entered France and destroyed the Homécourt railway station. The town underwent several bombings in May 1940, which caused significant damage to forges and steelworks. The town was awarded the War Cross 1939–1945.
Olivier Touzeau, 2 October 2020
The flag of Homécourt (photo) is white with the municipal arms, "Per pale 1. Azure crusily fitchy two barbels addorsed or. 2. Argent a converter sable inflamed gules on a vat sable. The shield surmounted by a mural crown. The War Cross 1939-1945 appended to the base." A vertical banner, white with the coat of arms (photo) is hoisted near the Town Hall.
The arms were adopted on 26 April 1951. The arms of the Duchy of Bar, of which Homécourt was a part, are half concealed by a converter symbolizing local industry.
Olivier Touzeau, 3 October 2020