This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pluméliau-Bieuzy (Municipality, Morbihan, France)


Last modified: 2023-11-11 by olivier touzeau
Keywords: morbihan | pluméliau-bieuzy | roses (gold) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Pluméliau-Bieuzy - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 7 January 2022

See also:

Presentation of Pluméliau-Bieuzy

Pluméliau-Bieuzy (4,341 inhabitants in 2020; 8,670 ha) is a commune in the Morbihan department. It was established on 1 January 2019 by merger of the former communes of Pluméliau (the seat) and Bieuzy.

Olivier Touzeau, 7 January 2022

Flag of Pluméliau-Bieuzy

The flag of Pluméliau-Bieuzy (photo, 2021) is white with modified logo (graphic part centered above the name).

Olivier Touzeau, 7 January 2022

Former flag of Pluméliau


Flag of Pluméliau - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 7 January 2022

The former commune of Pluméliau had 3,600 inhabitants in 67.72 km². Pluméliau is a former primitive parish which formerly included the current territories of Pluméliau (with its truce of Saint-Nicolas-des Eaux), Remungol and Moustoir-Remungol. The Celts certainly occupied this country, but no monuments of their stay have yet been reported.
The Bretons, by establishing themselves in this region, in the 6th century introduced their language and the cult of Saint Méliau, Count of Cornouaille.
The legend of St Méliau, as retold in Brittany, pictures him as a good and just prince, slain by his evil brother. Méliau was the son of Budic and grandson of Alain le Long, kings of Armorica in Brittany. His brothers were Theodoric and Rivod. Miliau is said to have married Haurille and their son was St Melar. Méliau was famous as a protector and benefactor of the poor, and is represented as dividing his cloak with a beggar, like St Martin of Tours. When he succeeded to the throne, Rivod had him assassinated by decapitation, around 531.
The foundation of the priory of Saint Nicolas de Castennec dates from 1120. The important seigneury of Kervéno marks the history of the parish, it was elevated to a marquisate under the name of Baud-Kervéno in 1623. Terrible events took place in Pluméliau during the Revolution in particular on March 14, 1793, where around twenty Republican soldiers were massacred. During the Second World War on July 14, 1944 around sixty maquisarts were killed after the fighting in Kervernen.

The flag was white with logo : a rendition of the coat of arms with flowering wheat sheaves and the shape of the chapel Saint-Nicodème (photo, 2012).

The arms of Pluméliau are blazonned: Azure a sword Argent hilt and pomel Or, the blade debruised by seven roses Or set end to end in circle. The motto in Breton « trema er vuhe » means "towards life". The 7 roses recall the 7 years of King Méliau's reign, and the sword the death of Méliau killed by his brother.

Olivier Touzeau, 7 January 2022