Last modified: 2021-03-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: bousse |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Bousse - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 30 September 2020
The municipality of Bousse (3,189 inhabitants in 2018; 881 ha; municipal website) is located on the right bank of river Moselle, 20 km north of Metz and 15 km south of Thionville.
Bousse was first mentioned, as Busse, in the annals of the Premonstratentian abbey of Wadgasse (located in present-day's Saarland, suppressed in 1792). The town was named for a convent where sinners repented, "Busse" meaning "penance" in German.
Ivan Sache, 2 October 2020
The flag of Bousse (photo,
photo is white with the municipal coat of arms, "Azure a chevron argent flanked in chief by two merlettes or in base a rose of the same".
The arms belonged to the Turlure de Vellecourt family. François Turlure de Vellecourt, war commissioner, married in 1769 Anne Marguerite de Verpy, daughter of Henri Claude de Verpy, lord of Blettange, Bousse and Landrevenge, public contractor of the Bitche fortifications. Verpy restored after 1750 the castle of Blettange, which had been destroyed in 1552 during the siege of Metz.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 2 October 2020