This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hombourg-Haut (Municipality, Moselle, France)

Last modified: 2021-04-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: hombourg-haut |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Hombourg-Haut - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 29 September 2020

See also:

Presentation of Hombourg-Haut

The municipality of Hombourg-Haut (6,272 inhabitants in 2018; 1,225 ha) is located close to the border with Germany, 15 km south-west of Forbach.

Hombourg-Haut emerged as a village surrounding a castle belonging to the Counts of Hombourg, located in what is now Hombourg-Bas. After the death in 1152 of Hugo de Lunéville-Metz, last Count of Hombourg, the domain was coveted by both the Duke of Lorraine and the Bishop of Metz, who eventually obtained it.
Jacques de Lorraine, Bishop of Metz, erected in 1470 a brand new castle on a hill dominating the old village; the wealthy castle was soon nicknamed the World's Sentry or the Mirror of Beauty. The bishop also built a citadel protected by thick walls. Hombourg-Bas was incorporated to the new village to form a single entity.
Hombourg-Haut was ruined during the Thirty Years' War and the castle was dismantled. Re-settled after another 30 years of abandon, Hombourg-Haut remained a small rural village until the 18th century, when forges were established by Charles de Wendel, Hausen and Gouvy.
[BLE Archives, 9 January 2016]

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 1 April 2021

Flag of Hombourg-Haut

The flag of Hombourg-Haut (photo is a banner of the municipal arms, "Gules a crozier in pale or between two alerions argent".

Constant Lapaix (Armorial des villes, bourgs et villages de la Lorraine, du Barrois et des Trois-Évêchés) reports that these arms are born by the representative of Hombourg on the engraving representing the Entrance of Henry II in Nancy in 1608; the arms are also featured in the Hérault d'armes de Lorraine et Barrois (17th century). Lapaix "guessed" the colors of the arms since the primary sources are in black and white.
The arms must recall Jacques de Lorraine (alerions), bishop (crozier) of Metz, who founded the town.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 1 April 2021