Last modified: 2021-04-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: hœrdt |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Hœrdt - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 11 October 2020
The municipality of Hœrdt (4,442 inhabitants in 2018; 1,656 ha) is located north of Strasbourg.
Hœrdt was mentioned for the first time in 1192 in official documents as an
imperial fief of the Landgrave of Lower Alsace, as Herde,
which means "dry and uncultivated soil". The village was then part of the Holy
Over the centuries, the village was successively the property of the bishopric of Strasbourg, and of several noble families including the Hanau-Lichtenberg (from 1570) and their heirs, the Hesse-Darmstadt (from 1736 to the French Revolution). Hœrdt was part of the Bailiwick of Brumath.
After having suffered the Thirty Years' War, which devastated the whole region, the population had to face, in the 17th century, two fires in 1669 and 1687, as well as wars led by Louis XIV.
Olivier Touzeau, 11 October 2020
The flag of Hœrdt (photo, 2012) is red with the municipal arms, "Or a bunch of asparagus argent in pale". Asparagus is the municipality's main crop. A former version of the arms had the asparagus represented vert.
Pascal Vagnat & Olivier Touzeau, 11 October 2020