Last modified: 2021-04-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: mutzig |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Mutzig - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 11 October 2020
The municipality of Mutzig (6,042 inhabitants in 2018; 801 ha) is located west of Molsheim.
Mutzig, first mentioned in the 10th century, became part of the Principality-Bishopric of Strasbourg in 1308.
In the 19th century, several industries were established in Mutzig, among which a weapon manufactory located on the grounds of the former castle of Cardinal of Rohan. In 1893, while Alsace was part of the German Empire, Kaiser Wilhelm II ordered the construction of Fort Kaiser Wilhelm II, north of the town, as well as military barracks.
Olivier Touzeau, 11 October 2020
The flag of Mutzig (photo,
photo) is a banner of the municipal arms, "Azure a Saint Maurice armed or holding sinister a shield gules a cross argent and dexter a lance with a pennant gules a cross argent riding a horse argent surrounded by three flying crows sable."
Saint Maurice is the patron saint of the parish.
Pascal Vagnat & Olivier Touzeau, 11 October 2020