This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Château-Landon (Municipality, Seine-et-Marne, France)

Last modified: 2017-09-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: chateau-landon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Château-Landon - Image by Pascal Vagnat, 5 October 2002

See also:

Presentation of Château-Landon

The municipality of Château-Landon (3,142 inhabitants in 2012; 2,935 ha) is located 80 km south-east of Paris and 15 km south of Nemours.
Château-Landon was originally built on a rocky hill dominating river Fusain, once the site of a Gaul oppidum seized by Julius Caesar in 52 BC. In 507, St. Séverin, a monk from the Agaune abbey in Switzerland, was called in Lutetia (Paris) to heal King of France Clovis from a "pernicious fever". The monk managed to save the king but died in Château-Landon, then called Castrum Nantonis, on his way back to Agaune. A Royal abbey dedicated to St. Séverin was founded in Château-Landon to commemorate the event.
In 1068, Castrum Nantonis was incorporated into the Kingdom of France; the town was renamed to Château-Landon in the 13th centur,y for a local lord called Landulphus. Fulk le Réchin, born in Château-Landon in 1043, was appointed Count of Anjou in 1068. His grand-son Jeffrey the Handsome married Mathilde, the daughter of King of England Henry I Beauclerc. Their son became King of England as Henri II Plantagenet, so Château-Landon is proud to be one of the cradles of the Plantagenet dynasty. Château-Landon was extremely wealthy in the Middle Ages, being was elected one of the 17 French "clothier towns" (ville drapière).

The stone of Château-Landon, resistant to frost, was used to build several famous monuments in Paris, such as the Cathedral Notre-Dame, the Panthéon and the National Library. Quarries are still in activity in the neighbouring city of Souppes-sur-Loing.

The actor and theater director Charles Dullin (1885-1949), founder of the Théâtre de l'Atelier in Paris, established his theater school from 1921 to 1939 in Nérouville, a hamlet depending on Château-Landon.

Ivan Sache, 5 October 2002

Flag of Château-Landon

The flag of Château-Landon is horizontally divided yellow-black with the municipal coat of arms placed in the middle and surmounted with the name of the town in counterchanged colours.

Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 5 October 2002